REAPER update to 5.0

There is probably some fancy script or extension or something that applies stuff from a template to a project that's already been recorded. You could ask at the Reaper forum, I can't imagine it's the first time somebody's wanted to do that. Otherwise, maybe what you need is to save your FX Chains? Still a little tedious if you have to open a saved chain for a lot of tracks, but not quite as bad as adding and tweaking each effect on every one.

Don't get me started on VCAs. I can see that it's powerful and a lot of people wanted it, but I so rarely group faders like that. What I really want it full on "CV" control incorporating VCA with parameter modulation and automation. You can kind of fake it now, but not all of the different things work the same, and it's not really perfect with the audio detector being rectified and having a floor at -60db. Especially with sample-accurate automation, we need a slightly better way to do these things.

I am very happy to see that they added the phase slider to the LFO in parameter modulation (did I say that already?), but I really wish we could draw in LFO shapes more easily. I don't love FLStudio, but I do like the way they make that so easy. There are extensions or scripts or whatever, but I haven't much messed with those things.

I've found a functionality change. In the old version I could click on a fader or a pan control and alter it up/down L/R with my scroll wheel. That no longer works. Can anybody help?

Sorted it - Preferences/editing behaviour/mouse/uncheck "ignore mouse scroll-wheel on faders".

P.S. Reaper 5.01 is out. :D

Didn't realize until last night that I had to tell 5.0 to rescan for all my plug-ins (had them in two separate folders, it only scanned the default one after the update. I have half a dozen VSTi synths and none of them were showing up, I was like 'WTF?' :eek:

Didn't realize until last night that I had to tell 5.0 to rescan for all my plug-ins (had them in two separate folders, it only scanned the default one after the update. I have half a dozen VSTi synths and none of them were showing up, I was like 'WTF?' :eek:

That's odd. I didn't have to do any rescanning. For me, the transition from 4.78 to 5.0 was as seamless as the transition from 4.76 to 4.78 (and now, the transition from 5.0 to 5.01).

That's odd. I didn't have to do any rescanning. For me, the transition from 4.78 to 5.0 was as seamless as the transition from 4.76 to 4.78 (and now, the transition from 5.0 to 5.01).

Same here. I didn't have to rescan for my VST paths, it remembered them all through the update.

People's experiences on upgrading seem to vary, and I'm not sure why.

Another example is scrolling wheel behaviour. I had read somewhere that the scrolling wheel didn't work on faders, so I tried it out . . . and it worked just as it had always worked.

Yet I see that others have had to change preferences to make it work.

It's all very mysterious!

I updated a couple of days ago but had really had much chance to tinkle with it until today.

Nothing has changed at all for me. Other than having to change from the default skin to my preferred skin, everything is exactly as it was.

:thumbs up:

It must be somewhere in the settings (where?) but I've noticed that when I drag points in automation they are really slow moving now.

It must be somewhere in the settings (where?) but I've noticed that when I drag points in automation they are really slow moving now.

Options/Editing Behaviour takes you to a couple of choices: 'envelope display' and 'automation'.

I tried to replicate your problem, but didn't find slow-moving points. They moved with the mouse most satisfactorily.

Isn't there a new setting for how that? It should only affect the up/down direction, and is meant to make it easier to make fine adjustments or something.

Edit -
Yep! Don't know if this is mjb's issue, but search the Options for "relative mouse edits".

From the guide: "Note that relative mouse edits provide more Y-axis resolution, at the expense of the
envelope points not following the mouse cursor."

That makes sense. I'll probably leave it as is, as I've always noticed that I need to zoom in sometimes to get the resolution I need.

I did not read through this entire thread, just the first two pages.

I was running 4.32 and just made the switch. So far the one thing that really bothers me is that you cant adjust track faders or knobs with the mouse wheel anymore. Is there a setting or something for this? I dont remember changing anything before. It was nice to use that to get a defined change every time instead of dragging.

I did not read through this entire thread, just the first two pages.

I was running 4.32 and just made the switch. So far the one thing that really bothers me is that you cant adjust track faders or knobs with the mouse wheel anymore. Is there a setting or something for this? I dont remember changing anything before. It was nice to use that to get a defined change every time instead of dragging.

Go to Options > Preferences > Mouse and uncheck the 'ignore mouse wheel' boxes

I'm not sure all is well with Reaper 5.? I updated as soon as it came out. I'm noticing long load times when loading a project that has a lot of plugins. By long I mean a minute or more. I never saw this before version 5.

So I updated my main recording rig this week. The first major thing that I'm noticing is that there is more stuff in the UI. This is kind of obnoxious for that machine since I've only got a single 12" screen on it. I found a way to clear some of the clutter, but a lot of the stuff I'm used to having for quick reference is gone now. :(

Back