REAPER update to 5.0

R

RAMI

I just installed the new version. It's all cool. I like the way it opens, nice graphic.

Problem is, the appearance went to a default theme. I changed it back to the theme I'm used to, but now I can't find the panel where you can change the colors of the background, the items, etc.....

There was a detailed window where you can do all that. I thought I used to get there by going Preferences>Appearance. But it doesn't any more. So, either I forgot how to get to that edit window, or they took it away. My background is white, I want it to be grey, for example.

I'm about to install it myself as well. I remember your Rainbow Brite screenshots :D

I can't remember if I'm using a custom skin or not...I remember installing one at some point but I don't think that mine looks any different than default at this point.

I'll see how this goes...

I too downloaded R5.0. For the first time, I am not that ecstatic about Reaper. The default 5.0 theme is interesting, but not as functionally effective as the standard 4.0 theme. For example, on the track control, the level control has become a knob instead of a slider. It took me a while to find it, because my brain was saying knob = pan, where is the slider?

Fortunately, you can switch to the older GUI, which is really well designed.

I couldn't find the place to customize the appearance either.

I also noticed some weird things happening when I was trying to edit midi control changes (specifically the mod wheel values).

OK, so it's not just me. I have a feeling 5.1 is coming out real soon. :D

Tad, it kept my colors for the tracks. But the backgrounds, items, borders of items, etc....all changed, and they seem to have forgotten to include the appearance control panel.

Gecko, you know that if you hit OPTIONS, almost all the way down you'll see "THEMES", right? You can go back to whatever look you had, except for the thing we're talking about.

I checked on 4.78, which is still on my other machines, and the theme editor was an option under appearance in the preference. It has indeed disappeared from here in 5.0.

It is not gone forever.

Go to 'Actions'
Go to 'Show action list'
type 'theme' in the filter.
Click on 'theme development: show theme/ tweak configuration window'

tweak away

Rami: I switched back to 4.0 theme straight away!

I checked on 4.78, which is still on my other machines, and the theme editor was an option under appearance in the preference. It has indeed disappeared from here in 5.0.

It is not gone forever.

Go to 'Actions'
Go to 'Show action list'
type 'theme' in the filter.
Click on 'theme development: show theme/ tweak configuration window'

tweak away

That is awesome! How the hell did you figure that one out?

That's great. So, this is what we have to do every time? Not that it's something I need to do more than once year anyway.

Thanx a lot Geck. :cool:

I'll have to wait a few days until I'm back home to download it. But I'm excited about the update. Any interesting new features.

Any interesting new features.

This is what's in the changelog, it's a pretty lengthy list of improvements:

v5.0 - August 12 2015
+ API: added Envelope, Tempo Map, Project Extension State, improved MIDI and Toolbar APIs
+ Actions: added propagate take and propagate item actions
+ ASIO: support for up to 512 channels of input and output
+ Automation: increased automation recording speed by 3x
+ Automation: internal changes and performance improvements to FX parameter automation
+ Automation: more consistent behavior when changing FX preset
+ Automation: new volume envelope mode that mimics track fader scaling
+ Performance: updated default worker thread scheduling logic for lower CPU use
+ Performance: disabled anticipative FX processing on tracks with open MIDI editors, by default
+ Performance: automatically disable anticipative FX in routed-to tracks for open MIDI editors
+ Configuration import/export: optionally include media explorer databases
+ EDL: support for VIDEO media type in Vegas EDL TXT
+ FX: per-take FX automation and parameter modulation
+ FX: browser smart folders (filter-folders)
+ FX: browser options to view JSFX by description and/or filename
+ FX: support for parameters with inverted ranges
+ FX: VST3 support, including sample-accurate automation
+ FX: inform VST plug-ins of offline rendering state, by default
+ FX: duplicating Take FX copies channel counts
+ FX: user-adjustable parameter modulation LFO phase
+ JSFX: sample-accurate automation support
+ JSFX: added support for inverted slider ranges
+ JSFX: editor improvements (scrollbars, multiple editing panes, Ctrl+Mousewheel font size change)
+ JSFX: fixed potential crash from gfx_circle() with bad parameters [p=1467110]
+ Localization: language packs can specify scale for dialog windows using (for example) 5CA1E00000000000=xsc ysc
+ Localization: all codec (wav, video, mp3, etc) dialog boxes and related strings can now be translated
+ Localization: new template LangPack
+ MIDI: do not automatically enable MIDI vol/pan faders when creating MIDI-only sends/receives [t=94841]
+ MIDI: note-off velocity support in piano roll and list view editors
+ MIDI editor: added mouse modifiers to edit note edges ignoring selection
+ MIDI editor: changed default note edge mouse modifiers to match default media item edge modifiers
+ MIDI editor: optionally display project tempo and time signature markers in the ruler
+ Media Explorer: added option 'Play through selected track'
+ Media Explorer: search in subfolders
+ Media Explorer: improved accessibility/tabbing navigation
+ Media Explorer: fixed various UTF-8 issues on Windows [issueid=5271][issueid=5062]
+ Media Explorer: fixed issues when using preserve-pitch and tempo-match options
+ Media Explorer: fixed MIDI/OSC action binding
+ Metronome: configurable beat patterns
+ Metronome: improved count-in behavior/quality
+ Mouse: ignore mouse wheel on all faders, by default
+ Multichannel media: support Ambisonic WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE .wav files
+ Multichannel media: improved zero crossing navigation
+ Multichannel media: improved tab-to-transient behavior
+ Multichannel media: improved support for chained OGG Vorbis files
+ Opus support: full decode/encode support for OGG <a href="http://www.opus-codec.org">Opus</a> files
+ Project Bay: new tab for managing FX parameter envelopes, modulation, and MIDI learn
+ Project Bay: fixed replace FX in project [issueid=5324]
+ Project Bay: fixed source/item/fx deletion and undo issues [issueid=5315]
+ ReaPlugs: improved touch-automation behavior for various check/combo/edit controls
+ ReaPlugs: improved ReaInsert behavior in many real world scenarios (PDC, looping, heavy load)
+ ReaScript: integrated development environment (IDE) for running, editing, debugging scripts
+ ReaScript: IDE supports syntax highlighting, multiple editing panes, watch lists, structure matching, and more
+ ReaScript: integrated Lua 5.3 scripting support
+ ReaScript: EEL and Lua scripts can query various information (incl. MIDI/OSC input values) via get_action_context()
+ ReaScript: EEL/Lua graphics/UI API (gfx*) extensions
+ ReaScript: toggle state support (script toolbar buttons can have on/off states)
+ Ripple editing: removing time in one-track and all-track mode better respects timebase:beats preferences for markers, items, and envelopes
+ Ruler: improved display for frame grid and HH:MM:SS:FF
+ Ruler: absolute frames time display mode
+ Stretch Markers: improved behavior when changing tempo map/moving items across tempo maps
+ Default theme: extra fancy new theme
+ Default theme: many layout choices for different uses (small, large, meters, live recording, media, item)
+ Default theme: better track panel and item tinting appearance
+ Theming: added theme tweak window (and removed outdated preferences pane)
+ Theming: improved theme color tinting support (requires 'version 5' in rtconfig, themes can override tint/peaks preferences via rtconfig 'tinttcp' and 'peaksedges')
+ Theming: scrollbar_2 and scrollbar_3 images can override scrollbar images for arrange and MIDI editor respectively
+ Time Map: better behavior when changing time signatures
+ Time Map: improved behavior when inserting/removing time in project (fixed auto-create of new time signature markers)
+ Time Map: improved time signature behavior when moving/copying regions
+ Toolbars: up to 16 general and 8 MIDI toolbars
+ Track grouping: VCA slave track group setting
+ Undo: options to include envelope point selection in undo state
+ Undo: improved FX envelope undo behavior
+ Video: massive improvements to video support
+ Video: allow user configurable video decoder priorities with per-file-extension controls
+ Video: configurable video output display latency
+ Video: dockable video window
+ Video: per-source option to not decode audio for video files
+ Video: pooled audio decoders, reducing RAM use for heavily edited videos
+ Video: project framerate is used instead of media framerate to determine display timing
+ Video: projects can now specify preferred video width/height/colorspace, resizing options
+ Video: real-time programmable (EEL) effect processors insertable as track and item FX
+ Video: support for AVFoundation video encoding/decoding on OSX 10.7+
+ Windows: fixed color picker potentially appearing offscreen

I downloaded the new version, & I'm gonna do the portable install to see if there's anything I like/don't like before I make the final switch, you never know, I may not like it, but I'm gonna give it a shot today...

I'm sure you guys know, but if you have any questions/problems, the Reaper forum is very helpful, & usually right on top of things for the most part (I'm mentioning this because of the theme editor being in a different place, for example, I'd read about it yesterday)...

Still no score editor in MIDI? Too bad. Long overdue.

What do you mean by that? I think you are expecting it to do something it was never intended. If you want to score, you would do it by tracks (recording since it is a DAW). If you want to compose a score, there is software for that purpose.

What other DAW has a scoring editor?

Logic does. It's a great scoring facility.

I reckon Reaper is great, but it's midi functionality can be better.

I did some research and now I know why Logic has a score editor. Because that is what they started out as. This was about the time I started doing MIDI and that was about all one could do on the computer. So this makes sense. It is a part of Logic's legacy.

Cubase has a score editor.

Yea, I am seeing a pattern. All of the old sequencers turned DAW seem to have that. I used software called Ballad and it scored as well. But it didn't score so well with consumers since went out of business back in 93'/94'.

I don't see much in the updates to excite me, except the volume envelope thingie - but not sure how it actually differs. I do all my envelopes manually (I found 'writing' live using the faders left me wiht too many points and too many corrections to do after), I've gotten pretty quick in inserting points ahead of the play cursor so I can pull the level up and down.
I haven't done any reaper updates for a while - whatever version I have now works well for me.

I don't see much in the updates to excite me

Me neither. I update simply because I get a notification, but I'm sure I'd be happy with the first version I ever had.

Another thing you can't do any more (though it's been quite a while, not just on this update), is right click on a track and "Hide/show in mixer", or "Hide/show in window". Now, you have to go the Track Manager, and click whatever you want to have in the mixer and window views. Until a few version ago, you could simply right click on a track and hide or show it. It was much quicker and made more sense.

Back