Reaper Sound Not Working

calioranged

Hi everyone I'm completely new to DAW's and home recording, and I've been trying to get started for a few days but I've had a catalogue of problems- first with Sonar (which I deleted because of the hassle) and now with Reaper.

Yesterday, after downloaded Reaper, I was trying to play with my Alesis-Q49 midi keyboard and I just could not get any sound. Everything was connected properly, the correct input selected, the notes I was playing were even being recognised when I armed the track but just not outputing any sound. There is my first problem.

Then today I load up Reaper and not only can I not get sound through the midi keyboard but I'm getting absolutely no sound from anything at all. There is my second problem.

The whole process has been extremely frustrating I just want to get everything set up correctly and start learning as soon as possible. Help would be MASSIVELY appreciated!

Ok, first tell us more about what you have hooked up. I assume the Alesis is connected via USB?

Do you have an audio interface? If not, and you're only doing MIDI from the Alesis, that's ok. How are you monitoring the audio - your computer's speakers, or headphones?
You need to select the audio output device in Reaper to correspond to whatever you are using to monitor.
Note that the Alesis is only supplying MIDI data to Reaper, to hear anything you will need to use a VSTi (virtual instrument) plug-in on that track. To hear it while recording/playing the Alesis, you will need to arm the monitor track option on that track. Reember to turn it off when you are done recording.
Hope this gets you started!

Mike B gave a solution to your first problem. You've actually done everything right, but as he said, the Alesis is only supplying data, not sound. You need to load a virtual instrument to get a sound happening.

For your second problem, you need to explain what you've done to try and get sound going.

To make sure your overall system is working, load up Reaper, then go to the menu bar, click on 'insert' and insert an audio file of some sort. It doesn't matter what it is; you musty have an MP3 of some sort floating around the insides of your computer. Try and play this. Tell us the results.

I now have the general sound working on Reaper, but still no sound from the keyboard...

Right I have the Q49 hooked up to Reaper via USB and I'm using the ASIO4all v2 audio system. I just want to play the audio through the computer speakers. And I have tried using a few VSTI's and they will only work if I press the virtual keys they come with, it won't output sound from the keyboard. I have armed the track correctly and selected the correct input, everything seems to be kosher except sound.

Have you loaded a VSTI as an effect on a Reaper track?

If you have, on the Track Control Panel you need to:

1 arm the track for recording
2 have the USB selected as an input
3 turn record monitoring on

You also need to make sure your audio is going somewhere. However, as you can get general sound going, it seems that that part is ok.

Yes I have loaded a VSTI as an effect on a Reaper track.

I have armed the recording
I have the USB selected
Unsure what you mean by 'turn record monitoring on' I don't see a button for that unless you just mean the actual record button at the bottom - in which case I've tried that too

Here are two screen shots. One shows the TCP using the Reaper 5 default theme. The other shows the Reaper 4 default theme. The record ,omitoring button is where the yellow arrow is pointing.

The easiest way to get a VSTI working is to simply do this:

1 Open Reaper
2 Go to the menu bar, click on 'insert' , then select 'virtual instrument on new track'. This action creates the track, makes sure everything is set the right way for a virtual instrument (including record monitoring), and opens a box from which you can select a VSTI.

tcp r5.jpg
tcp r4.jpg

Back