Reaper and others- PLZ help me understanding copyright rules

BoatyMcBoatface

Hello, I am just getting into some basic home recording, and I bought myself a basic audio interface/pre amp and have begun looking at different software. First I went to download Reaper, and I noticed in the terms and agreements that anything you record or create using their software becomes their intellectual property for all intents- am I reading into this wrong or would they gain copyrights and ownership of all of my music?? On that same note, in the manual of my audio interface the copyright section states something very similar- that the parent company Yamaha would maintain all rights to anything I make even using that audio interface. Am i missing something?! I'd imagine there must be a way to record and maintain rights or am I looking at this wrong?? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

First I went to download Reaper, and I noticed in the terms and agreements that anything you record or create using their software becomes their intellectual property for all intents-

I didn't see that written anywhere in the Reaper license agreement. Guessing you read that wrong. They do mention, frequently, that you cannot do anything with the software. The software is theirs and you have a license to use it for its intended purposes; just like all other software. But that doesn't have anything to do with the copyright on your tunes.

The conditions in the terms and agreements relate principally to the software. Here is what you may have read:

"4. Ownership and Intellectual Property Rights: This Agreement gives you limited rights to use the Software. Cockos retains any and all rights, title and interest in and to the Software and all copies thereof, including copyrights, patents, trade secret rights, trademarks and other intellectual property rights. All rights not specifically granted in this Agreement, including International Copyrights, are reserved by Cockos. The structure, organization and code of the Software are valuable trade secrets and confidential information of Cockos."

Your own intellectual property (i.e. your music) is not impacted by this.

Okay thank you so much that is very helpful, sorry for my ignorance there I guess I'm just paranoid ! (That totally is the section that had me hung up and others are similar but that makes sense!) Cheers!

Back