REAPER Monitor wet signal but record dry?

Muzzaman

Hey guys, is there a way in reaper to say add my toneport VST to a channel, play my guitar and here the wet (effected) signal while tracking but record just a dry signal onto the track?

I'd like to record my guitar dry while hearing the effect for the feel. After that I'm hoping I can use amp and cab sims on that track to get different sounds.

This possible or not? I know I can add my toneports gearbox vst to REAPER no probs.

Cheers, Muzza.

Try this:

Insert the VST into the track.

Click on the monitor button (just below and to the right of the track arm button).

Play your guitar and record.

You should be able to hear the effect you've selected as you record. There could be a slight delay, depending on the latency of the system, but it should give you the feel.

Any issues with timing Muzza? I've never tried to do that because I worried the the monitoring would be behind the beat and mess me up. Wouldn't be the first time my assumptions blinded me to a great idea. I'll try it next time, but I'm curious in the meantime if you noticed any time delay in the monitored signal...

J

Didn't try it with a click track but will do tonight mate! I don't normally have latency issues but i'll check and let you know!

Muzza.

I think the default with any DAW in regards to VST's is that they are not actually recorded. They just run on the track during recording and playback.

Other aplications for FX monitoring question...

I've taken this a step father by taking the monitored signal out the headphone on my audio interface into an amp/DI for real time MIDI/VST's in a live situation? I've never actually taken the idea to the stage....Besides crashing, are there any drawbacks? Had zero latency when testing at home...need a sustain pedal too...thoughts?

With a decent set up you can totally use Reaper and its effects live as long as the plug ins used don't introduce any latency. :)

I ran front of house and recorded at the same time for these guys using a Presonus Firestudio, Presonus Digimax FS (total 15 channels), Reaper and the Presonus software that came with the boxes. After a bit of a rough start (no soundcheck) all went well the rest of the evening. This is a mix of one of the songs that they did that night. Voodoo - Run Through the Jungle - Recorded Feb 3, 2011 by Richard King on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free The sound out front was MUCH better than their normal sound.

I've since done FOH two more times with the same setup.

Wow that does sound good! What effects did you use?

Thanks. Nothing fancy at all in the way of effects. None of the high priced brands. T-RackS Compression/limiting and mastering suite, VOS Epic Verb, ReaGate on kick. That's about it. It was recorded dry and effects added in mix. In FOH land I only added a bit of reverb and delay.

Back