Reaper learning curve?

Reaper saves the audio as a .wav file. The repeak file is something that Reaper uses internally. You might want to check your project settings to see where it's actually storing the recorded audio, because if the only files you're seeing are .repeak files, then something is configured incorrectly.

I was creating my own SAMPLES directory by copying files from the Home Recording samples. Problem was Windows "show file extensions" was unchecked. So "Tom 2.wav.repeaks" was listed as "Tom 2.wav" I was looking for .wav files but those aren't them. "Tom2" didn't look right until I could see the extensions.

I've been looking at file type extensions for better than 20 years. Why MS decided the default should be to hide them in Win 7 is something Bill Gates should answer for in karma court.

I was creating my own SAMPLES directory by copying files from the Home Recording samples. Problem was Windows "show file extensions" was unchecked. So "Tom 2.wav.repeaks" was listed as "Tom 2.wav" I was looking for .wav files but those aren't them. "Tom2" didn't look right until I could see the extensions.

I've been looking at file type extensions for better than 20 years. Why MS decided the default should be to hide them in Win 7 is something Bill Gates should answer for in karma court.

Oh ok, I see. Yeah that is an annoyance. Glad that you got over that hump. How is the recording coming along otherwise?

Oh ok, I see. Yeah that is an annoyance. Glad that you got over that hump. How is the recording coming along otherwise?

My baseline use of taking tracks already recorded and mixing and rendering them (I won't say I'm Mastering because that's too good a word for it) is going great. Getting better and better with effects and fixing mistakes in the tracks and making acceptable sounding output.

But the learning curve is steep. Kind of like how a Soviet-era Russian citizen would have felt when dropped in a US grocery store not knowing how to read English. (I have no other DAW experience to compare to). Just the vocabulary is challenging.

I think it is safe to say that the learning curve to figuring out Reaper is probably a very small time investment. maybe 12 hours collectively for a firm comprehension, addressing settings that work for you etc...

Discovering reaper, on the other hand is an entirely different thing all together. Every time i sit down to do something i will learn something new.

By that logic the learning curve for me has been about +/- 5 years and counting. YMMV

Discovering reaper, on the other hand is an entirely different thing all together. Every time i sit down to do something i will learn something new.

And it's the same for every Reaper user, & it's getting better all the time, & with version 5 on the horizon!

• :guitar:

I spent a bit of time searching Google and the Cocko's forum trying to find how to "delete/remove" the lanes. I did finally figure out how to remove the lanes, but it was using a function called "crop to active take", not a remove or delete action as I thought it might be and searched for. It's this kind of stuff I get hung up on that takes time to figure out.
There should be an action to delete active take in the right-click context menu under Takes.

As someone on a recording forum told me when I was becoming discouraged with the DAW learning curve 2 years ago, (on Reaper BTW which is easy) to paraphrase he said, c'mon you are a musician, you taught yourself how to play an instrument, or several, you can sing and play the instrument which is exponentially more difficult than doing either by themselves. Stick with it. If you can do those things, learning this will be cake.

I'm sharing it with you.

I've used a ZOOM R-16 for many years with very good results. Easy to use, always works.
I record with it then import into Reaper for editing. Reaper is as easy or hard as you want.
YouTube videos are incredibly helpful.

Basic recording and functionality with Reaper is fairly straight forward. The problem I have is that I may want to perform a particular function or edit and the means to do it may not obvious or intuitive. As one example I was recording some tracks the other night and managed to do multiple takes on the same track that resulted in bits and pieces of recorded audio in several "lanes" of the track. I thought I could simply select/highlight either the lane or snippets of audio to directly delete them, but found this not to be the case (or if it can be done I haven't figured out how easily). I spent a bit of time searching Google and the Cocko's forum trying to find how to "delete/remove" the lanes. I did finally figure out how to remove the lanes, but it was using a function called "crop to active take", not a remove or delete action as I thought it might be and searched for. It's this kind of stuff I get hung up on that takes time to figure out.

If you go into the actions list you will find the action "Delete Active Take". So when punching in and creating several lanes on the same track you can split them where you like and then click on the parts you don't want to make them the active take .Then run Delete Active Take to get rid of them. I've added this action as both an option on my "take" drop down menu and as a button in my EDIT tool bar for convenience since I use it a lot. You can also create a keyboard short cut as well. You can then use the "Crop" option in the Items drop down menu to create a single lane again. All the tool are there...you just need to find them and experiment a little to get the most out of them. The way Reaper allows the end user to configure almost everything (to me) is worth the price of the DAW in it self. I'm a former cakewalk, pro-tools, samplitude, acid, sound forge, reason user (not necessarily in that order) and reaper has given me the best most productive work flow by far. Also reaper does have the on board Virtual Keyboard that corresponds to letters and symbols on your computer keyboard. So if you are looking to experiment with a sampler or some free midi synth etc you can do it without having to buy an actual midi keyboard/controller just to get your feet wet. I would also suggest you go to the stash link of the Reaper.fm home page age and under custom action download and install FR Toolbarz (see link)REAPER | Resources . This is a set of very useful tools that have definitely added much ease to my work flow. Good luck.

Last edited:
To the OP, check out Mixcraft...a few years ago I could written your post and I looked at Reaper, tried the free version but also looked at Mixcraft. Mixcraft is my go-to desktop DAW. The program allows me to get down song ideas quick that sound excellent and easily enough to not get in the way of inspiration.

I am not a great mixer, nor even a good one really but: I used presonus studio one 2 for quite a while and love it. I heard about reaper and thought I would give it a try and maybe not quite the DAW that Presonus is but it is a good daw. I use it now more the I do Presonus because of it's simplicity and ease of use.

I have been using Reaper for a while and probably have only scratched the surface of what it is capable of. However, I found that it is very easy to pick up some basics and get recording and mixing. I have tried other software and found that getting basic stuff done is pretty straightforward but I had a hell of a time moving forward from there. Reaper seems to work how I would expect a DAW to work. Everything is put together in a way that my brain and workflow expects. It gives professional quality results for an absolutely minimal outlay. As with every kind of software, whether it be DAW or spread-sheet, you have to find the one that works for you. Whatever DAW you choose there is never going to be a 'learn it in a couple of hours and carry on for life' scenario. All of them have a huge list of functions that will never all be used or neded. Find one that suits how you work and it will be much easier to pick up and use and therefore give you better results. Good luck.

Thanks to those of you who were capable of providing an intelligent, mature reply. The consensus I"m seeing elsewhere would seem to agree overall (the initial review I saw didn't, prompting the post).

Back