Reaper with Audiobox 1818VSL headphone amp

Dave Matthews

Dave's not here
Have headphone amp HD60 plugged into 7/8 of 1818VSL
In reaper I want to monitor a track with an amp sim on input. When I arm the track and choose to monitor I hear the plucked strings twice.
Main output in Reaper is main L/R but changing it to 7/8 makes no difference. If I turn the Master slider down the doubling goes away but so does the effect/sim.
Don't seem to have this problem with my Zoom at homw, just with the Presonus.
What am I routing wrong?:facepalm:

Turn off/down the hardware monitoring on the interface. Sometimes that's a knob, sometimes it's in their software. Look up its manual for specifics. It's not a Reaper issue.

Cannot find how to turn off hardware-based monitor. I get what you're saying though, it doesn't happen at home on my Zoom R16.

That will happen. Hardware monitoring = no latency, software monitoring = latency. How much latency you get depends on how much work the software has to do. If there is a lot of processing involved in the amp sim, that will contribute to latency. However, in Reaper, in the top right hand corner you can see sample rate, bit depth and expected latency times. You can right click on this to get to audio device settings, and you may be able to adjust block size to reduce latency.

That will happen. Hardware monitoring = no latency, software monitoring = latency. How much latency you get depends on how much work the software has to do. If there is a lot of processing involved in the amp sim, that will contribute to latency. However, in Reaper, in the top right hand corner you can see sample rate, bit depth and expected latency times. You can right click on this to get to audio device settings, and you may be able to adjust block size to reduce latency.

Interesting, and thank you! Funny I don't have this issue with my Zoom R16 at home, just the Presonus VSL. I have read bad things about the Presonus VSL and USB 3.0 latency, and it looks like it's not going to get fixed either. I've got tried Amplitube free, Two Notes Torpedo WOS free, and Voxengo/Boogex. I think maybe Boogex might have the least impact, any thoughts?

None of those plugs should be adding latency, and still not Reaper's fault. You need to go back into the VSL software and crank down the buffers. Start with the lowest setting, and see if you get pops or crackles or dropouts and then step it up one level at a time until it works well. Unless the machine is ancient, you should be able to find a setting that works without noticeable lag.

Thanks Ash.
I will definitely play with the buffers in VSL. My laptop is fairly high spec i7/8gb ram so I'm not worried there.
Just found out that of my three USB ports 2 of them are USB 3, and one is USB 2. I've only been using the USB 3 ports so I will use the USB 2 port next time.
Cheers,
Dave

Back