Raising the volume of all tracks

notsocoolguy

Heres a problem I've had for a while now... But lets say I'm mixing, and I've got a mix I like, but all the faders could come up say 5db, I know this is quite poor mixing technique and I should go back and re mix everything at a higher level, but is there a way to just drag all the faders up at once? If you select all and drag up, they all drag up to the same level, thus screwing my mix...

And ideas people?

I think if no tracks are selected and/or all tracks are selected, when you move one fader they all move the same amount in correlation.

I think if no tracks are selected and/or all tracks are selected, when you move one fader they all move the same amount in correlation.

Yeah, this sort of works but they don't move in direct correlation. Wish they did. If you have a channel at 0dB and another at -20, select them both and move the -20 fader up and down you'll see the other fader move a lot further either way. Maybe there's a setting somewhere for changing the ratio to one-to-one.

Hm, they do seem to be a little off when you do it like that. But sometimes it looks like one is way off, but if you look at the volume they do remain almost relative, ex:

Put one at 0db, the other at -20. Now select both and drag them. Mine say ~1db different than they should be. Wonder if anyone else has this problem.

Heres a problem I've had for a while now... But lets say I'm mixing, and I've got a mix I like, but all the faders could come up say 5db, I know this is quite poor mixing technique and I should go back and re mix everything at a higher level, but is there a way to just drag all the faders up at once? If you select all and drag up, they all drag up to the same level, thus screwing my mix...

And ideas people?
Don't worry about it. You can bring it up during mastering.

Oh and thats the other thing, I always set up my faders so the max is 0 db. So I can't do any boosting during mixing, I don't know, perhaps it's just me, but yeah!
What do you mean? Is the signal up at 0db, or is the fader all the way up?

I try to mix with the master volume not going above -8db. When tracking at proper levels (-18dbFS), it's much easier when adding or recording new tracks to a project. If you track everything real hot, or mix real hot, you'll constantly be bringing down the levels just to prevent clipping, and that is a big pain in the ass when trying to mix a song.

Then as Farview said, I don't worry about how loud, or the overall volume until I've finished mixing.

Oh and thats the other thing, I always set up my faders so the max is 0 db. So I can't do any boosting during mixing, I don't know, perhaps it's just me, but yeah!

If you're getting 0 dB on the master fader, then bringing the faders up another 5 dB will get you into clipping land.

Back