Problem after switching from WavOut to ASIO in preferences

spantini

COO of me, inc.
Recently switched Audio in preferences, now I keep getting this pop-up. Sometimes it won't allow playback, sometimes it will - if it's NOT in playback (stopped) and I click the transport STOP button, then the play button.. it plays back fine anyway. Something's buggy, and I seem to be getting more of these each day. When I was using WavOut for Audio, there were no glitches like this. Now I'm confused..

SdZh5Tj.png

Interface = Tascam US-2x2

As far as I am aware, the interface remains on always - except when I close down for the day and my PC goes into sleep mode. But it did that before with WavOut and I got none of these pop-ups... that's one reason for my confusion. There is a check box in the pop-up to "not show again", but that would just be ignoring a possible problem.

I've not noticed any glitches in Reaper's operations because of it, other than that pop-up grinding everything to a halt when it appears.

I was just out for awhile. When I came in, I opened Reaper and a saved project. Everything loaded just fine and no pop-up. It's erratic.

Probably best to switch your machine to "Everything Always On", whatever that takes.

Are you sure it's not hinky cable or USB connection? Tried a different USB port, preferably on a different internal hub?

Interface = Tascam US-2x2

As far as I am aware, the interface remains on always - except when I close down for the day and my PC goes into sleep mode. But it did that before with WavOut and I got none of these pop-ups... that's one reason for my confusion. There is a check box in the pop-up to "not show again", but that would just be ignoring a possible problem.

I've not noticed any glitches in Reaper's operations because of it, other than that pop-up grinding everything to a halt when it appears.

I was just out for awhile. When I came in, I opened Reaper and a saved project. Everything loaded just fine and no pop-up. It's erratic.

If you look at my signature, you may find the answer to your problem.

I'll switch my PC to "always on", then switch ports if it persists.

Hey, Mack..:listeningmusic: I am the one pushing the buttons, so technically you are correct. But I was following your suggestion (oops! ;)

I'll switch my PC to "always on", then switch ports if it persists.

Hey, Mack..:listeningmusic: I am the one pushing the buttons, so technically you are correct. But I was following your suggestion (oops! ;)

No problem Brother. I can solve both our issues. Mine is cramming 30 hrs into an 18 hr day, six days a week. Yours is you need to get better advice as well as guidance. I wish you well. I hope I did not make an opps! :thumbs up:

Last edited:
You did not oops!. You're not fired.. please contribute when you have the inclination. I'm already utilizing things in your video, and I haven't even finished watching it yet :D

Turn off 'sleep mode'. Just shut down the computer power completely when not in use. Sleep mode deactivates the USB, and when it wakes up the USB devices don't.

I think I found something - weird.

When I installed the interface, the installation of the driver automatically took over via onscreen prompts. The instructions said to make sure US-2x2 & US-4x4 Mixing Driver was selected in Preferences. When that is selected, all of the Enabled inputs and outputs disappear and all the audio goes away and then that persistent pop-up hijacks the system - locking the main screen. ACK!

I reset the driver to US-2x2 & US-4x4 (that's all) and all seems to be working well - for now.

This can't all be my fault. I'm following the manufacturer's instructions.. and that's not working.

I repaired the driver and reinstalled it. The US-2x2 & US-4x4 Mixing Driver option in Preferences worked this time - showing all Enabled inputs/outputs.

Then...

Reaper began crashing. I had to uninstall Reaper and all related files.

The Tascam interface works perfectly until Reaper is opened. With Reaper fully uninstalled the interface and all the audio options work great - all. the. time.

If I opened Reaper, all audio would cut out.. even my computer speakers. Couldn't hear any record or playback. Couldn't hear any sound files (.mp3, etc.). Couldn't hear any videos (YouTube, etc.). Then when I tried to close all projects and quit... the big crash. So out it went.

I'll try downloading it again tomorrow and see how that goes. At least I'm fairly certain the interface is ok.

I'm not alone in this problem: Reaper, Error initializing ASIO driver? - Recording Software - indie recording depot

Last edited:
I left my PC "awake" all night - constant power to interface USB. Last night, I actually went ahead and downloaded Reaper from their website again. This morning everything works great, and this newest download of Reaper looks different than my previous buggy version. There are different screen prompts and some minor visual items in the track screen look different - new icons that weren't there before. Best of all, the interface Preferences choices have remained stable.

I can actually get loud headphone volume now with all meters in the -18 area - couldn't before. And that's after I normalized a test track to -12dB, which reduced volume.

If another bug doesn't rear it's head, I think this is gonna work out for me.

Thanks to all of you for your comments :listeningmusic:

I left my PC "awake" all night - constant power to interface USB. Last night, I actually went ahead and downloaded Reaper from their website again. This morning everything works great, and this newest download of Reaper looks different than my previous buggy version. There are different screen prompts and some minor visual items in the track screen look different - new icons that weren't there before. Best of all, the interface Preferences choices have remained stable.

I can actually get loud headphone volume now with all meters in the -18 area - couldn't before. And that's after I normalized a test track to -12dB, which reduced volume.

If another bug doesn't rear it's head, I think this is gonna work out for me.

Thanks to all of you for your comments :listeningmusic:

Just so you know, every time Reaper is updated, you will see a prompt telling you so, right after you open it. It is always best to follow the on screen prompts. Did you by chance download the 32 bit system and your computer runs the 64 bits or vise versa? Not that it matters much but it seems you are having severial issues that most of us do not. This does not mean that you are doing something wrong, it's just weird. You can click here and you will see all your system information information automatically as soon as you click the link.

... It is always best to follow the on screen prompts. Did you by chance download the 32 bit system and your computer runs the 64 bits or vise versa? Not that it matters much but it seems you are having severial issues that most of us do not. This does not mean that you are doing something wrong, it's just weird. You can click here and you will see all your system information information automatically as soon as you click the link.

Thank you, Mack. I did make absolutely sure I DL'd the 64-bit version (both times), and even though I knew my system was 64-bit I double checked that before I proceeded.

Thank you, Mack. I did make absolutely sure I DL'd the 64-bit version (both times), and even though I knew my system was 64-bit I double checked that before I proceeded.

OK, I will shoot an e-mail over to them Reaper folks and see if they have any advice on the issue. I will re-post when I get a response.

Something else I just discovered.

Say I have Reaper open with an item loaded in the track screen. I also have a Google tab open in the background. The track screen displays the sound wave - as it should. Now, if I click the Google tab and activate the screen, then go back to Reaper, the track item displays "offline - offline - offline....." for a split second, then the wave returns.

My theory: When that is "offline" it's broken the connection to the audio driver. Most of the time it reconnects no problem. Then there are times it has difficulty and THAT'S when the ugly pop-up appears about no audio device.. blah, blah,..

It's only a theory

Something else I just discovered.

Say I have Reaper open with an item loaded in the track screen. I also have a Google tab open in the background. The track screen displays the sound wave - as it should. Now, if I click the Google tab and activate the screen, then go back to Reaper, the track item displays "offline - offline - offline....." for a split second, then the wave returns.

My theory: When that is "offline" it's broken the connection to the audio driver. Most of the time it reconnects no problem. Then there are times it has difficulty and THAT'S when the ugly pop-up appears about no audio device.. blah, blah,..It's only a theory

One of the best features of Reaper is it is extremely light on your CPU. The way it was explained to me was, since you have opened another file or any program that deals with audio, Reaper assumes you do not need it at that time and releases control over the opened program.

It happens to me as well and this is normal. It always comes back to where it was, when I left it. When I do my videos for Reaper, I have to add a 1 to 2 sec pause so the audio comes back on line. You can avoid this by telling Reaper to "Always stay on top". Here are 100 great tips for using Reaper. It is from their "Unofficial Blog". This is another great resource for Reaper users. If you ever contact Jon, tell him "Magic" is still waiting for his coffee!

:spank:

Yes, that 'offline' thing is normal - but for optimum use, don't be doing internet things while working with Reaper!

Yes. Normally, and in the future, I wouldn't be flipping back and forth between Reaper and an internet tab. But for now I'm using it to quickly find explanations and answers as I'm slogging through the learning process. I really have tried using the manual, but ya have to know exactly what you're looking for to search it - like looking up a word in a paper dictionary.. you need to know how to spell it to find it. Google makes this task much easier, and it often points right back to these (and Cockos') forums :)

Back