Parent track and kids

DaleVO

Poor Farm Productions
To speed my workflow, I created some custom SWS commands that work great, except that I cannot find in the manual, or figure out something that is probably pretty simple. How do I keep a parent track, from muting all child tracks?

I open a VO track, in track 1 (parent). My custom actions are for making a looped room tone track (child 3), and inserting the room tone into the gaps of my edit track (child 2); auto-trims and fades done via nudge.

Once I have dragged all selected clips into the edit track, I cannot figure out how to only mute the parent, and room tone tracks, and solo the edit track (child 2). The parent is muting all of the children.... which is a good thing sometimes. :rolleyes:

I wish I could find it in the manual. But instead, I muster the experts.

Thank you in advance.
Dale

So, there's stuff on the track 1 that you don't want to hear, but you're using it as a folder with the other two tracks under it? I guess I find myself wondering why, and thinking you should rethink the way that folder structure is set up, but...

The best you can do is to turn off Master/Parent send on the child tracks and then send them to some other track. If you still want the room tone track to mute when the folder track is muted (so you don't have to click twice), you can group those controls.

So, there's stuff on the track 1 that you don't want to hear, but you're using it as a folder with the other two tracks under it? I guess I find myself wondering why, and thinking you should rethink the way that folder structure is set up, but...

Ash,

Thanks for the reply Cap'n. Yes, I want to mute the original track and the room tone track, when played back. I am undoubtedly expressing my ignorance of how the folders behave and route.

Here is a screenie of how I am set up. My custom action looks to the Room Tone track, to cut-n-paste the room tone into the gaps in the edit track 2, then it automatically crossfades and nudges.
Screenie.jpg

Ok Ash....

I just figured out that Reaper really likes to have the Hardware Outputs set, so that it knows HOW you want to HEAR the tracks. Jeeze... long day.

Thanks for making me re-think the routes. Sometimes it takes just that little push of "ah - come on Dale THINK!", to get you going again.

Have a great weekend,
Dale

Err...OK? I'm not sure I love the idea of just sending that one track to the Hardware Send. That will bypass everything on the Master and make it a bit difficult to mix it with anything else. Also not sure how that will work out trying to render things.

I assume you want to keep these three tracks grouped visually for organization purposes and whatnot. I think I would either want all three in an empty folder track, or to have the edit track as the top level with the other two beneath. That second option is probably best, since the edit track is your final product, and you could turn off Master/Parent send on the two children and/or just mute them without affecting the edit track at all.

... Hardware Send. That will bypass everything on the Master and make it a bit difficult to mix it with anything else. Also not sure how that will work out trying to render things. whatnot
My "mix" requirements are not at all extensive. 99+% of my tracks just a mono-source, single-track, voice only. Rarely, do I have to add a backing track. Most of the time, I just deliver a dry VO track and let the AE add the rest. Typically, I am editing pauses/coughs/clicks/pops, and errors, then tightening it up, adding room tone, and rendering it. With the rendered track, I add EQ, compression, some spices, salt and pepper to taste, and create my final.

Now your render question has me thinking. I have only created the custom actions and played with their operation. I have not tried to render the edited, Edit Track yet. I still have to try that.

I assume you want to keep these three tracks grouped visually for organization purposes and whatnot
Yes. I use the original track to chop and drag, into the Edit track. As I am doing my editing pass on the Edit Track, listening for mistakes, I may find that I left out a "the"/ "of"/ "and" etc... Sometimes I can find that word somewhere in the read, and cut-n-paste it in. Hence the reason I needed to be able to mute the (parent) original, while editing the Edit Track.

Before creating the custom actions to use, I just did all edits manually, using two tracks. All edits (select,delete,copy,paste tone,crossfade, SAVE often) were made on the imported original track, with a separate track of room tone to manually cut-n-paste. That's a lot of mouse clicks for a one-hour chunk of audiobook editing. With my custom action, it's select the gap, hit CTRL+R, and it's done!

I appreciate you taking the time to ponder my dilemma.
Dale

Last edited:
Back