One-time problem on playback

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I was mixing 19 tracks (all mic'd - no midi) when I stopped playback to rewind a few measures. When I hit play, the song played at the correct speed but the headphone audio was a mess. Volume was ok, but the audio was extremely fragmented - like 40% of the data were randomly removed.

I closed the project without saving, then opened it and everything is normal again (whew!).

I've been running this FX configuration on this song for a month or so and never had a problem with processing. The only thing different today was I added a Klanghelm MJUC jr compressor to my plugin folder, then to the FX chain on 2 tracks. Ya think maybe that's corrupting things?

I don't know if this was Reaper, the Klanghelm, my interface, or my PC... weird.

Glitches happen. Unless you don't care about changes you've made, just save the project to a new name, so you've got both the old one and the new one accessible.

^^^Or make sure you've got automatic backups turned on. Any time I save a project, it renames the last saved version as a backup so I can always revert to previous saved states.

I've had it set to save every 3 min - while not recording. Thanks.

Something else went wacky around the same time, I think. My VSTi drum kit lost it's file path. I had to reinstall it in a different folder to get it to work. It had been working great in the Reaper plugins folder, now it wont work there.. had to move it to the FX folder and it's fine.

I think my PC is possessed, man :eek:

I have playback glitches all the time: A bunch of audio starts playing back unusually fast or slow during or after scrubbing, stutters and jumps, etc.

Usually, just letting the project rest for a few seconds for all the system resources to catch up or restarting reaper and the interface so they can get back in sync solves it.

I've had it set to save every 3 min - while not recording. Thanks.
I wasn't talking about autosave. Just creating backups is usually fine for me. I have an (probably irrational) aversion to autosave in any program. Yes I've been bitten a couple of times, but I still just can't go there. I did make a custom action for the spacebar on my live machine so that it toggles play/pause and saves the project. That way, at the end of the set when I'm a little drunk and want to get off the stage quick, I hit spacebar to stop recording and don't have to remember to save before shutting down.

Back