Not strictly a Reaper question, but I think I will use reaper for the project.

rose62

I have several CD's of audio, my dad telling flying stories. I'd like to post a simple image of my father along with the recorded audio to YouTube. How to do this?

Hi there,
You'll need to rip/import the audio from the CDs first. Any media player will be able to do that.
If you're presented with format and quality options, best to stick to .wav

Now armed with that, drag the wav into a reaper session, then drag the picture into the same reaper session.

The picture will appear as a block, but a much smaller block than the audio one. Hovering over the right hand edge of that block will give you an extend tool.
Click and drag the image block to match the length of the audio block.

Now you have a still image for the duration of the audio. :)

I'm not sure if Reaper allows for basic video editing...fade from/to black etc.
Maybe someone else can advise but the above should get you started, at least.

Cool, good luck.
I'm not really a Reaper guy - Just happened to see your post.

If you run into trouble I'm sure some of the other guys can be more specific. :)

Reaper will grab a track straight off the CD.

Pop a CD into your computer. Open up Reaper, then go Insert/Media File (or simply hit the "Insert" key), navigate to the CD and click on the audio tracks you want.
Insert a picture on a new track as Steen says.

You will have to go View/Video Window to watch the video (and there won't be much to watch seeing as you are using a still).

When you are done, you can render a video through File/Render. There are a variety of video rendering options there in the Output Format drop-down menu

I'm not sure if Reaper allows for basic video editing...fade from/to black etc.
Reaper can do a bit more than basic editing. The easiest way to fade to/from black is to insert the Video Processor plugin on the video track and select the Item Fades Affect Video preset. Then use the fade handles in the Arrange view like you would on an audio track.

Edit - Reaper Blog recommends against "Item Fades Affect Video", but his argument only really applies when you also want to use the audio attached to a video clip. With a still image, that's not a thing.

This is a pretty good demo of some of the things you can do with Reaper, but it uses his preset which I think you can only get when you subscribe to his newsletter. Subscription is free, and probably worth it if you're really trying to get into video editing in Reaper.

Last edited:
For anyone interested in aviation go to SoundCloud and search; Mooney to Africa. It's a couple of hours of my father telling about his first trip delivering a single-engine airplane across the ocean.

Back