noobiest reaper question ever

Shapelierpanda

So for starters I have a TASCAM 1800 and a macbook pro. I have reaper installed along with the TASCAM drivers.

This is copied from a different thread haha, and is talking about what happens after i select yes when asked if i'd like to choose my audio device driver.

Sorry for being so nooby but i can't find the info i need anywhere else. I can't select the TASCAM in reaper. In the Audio Device drop down menu, the options are none, default system devices, Built in input, built in output, and Boomdevice, which i think has to do with a system wide equalizer i have installed. so do i need these ASIO i heard about from my research? I found them but don't see how to install them on a mac.

yes haha. buut the light that indicates a valid usb connection isn't on. i've tested my usb ports and used two different cables, so I'm sure thats not the issue.

Well that's a definite problem. First thing to try is is the Tascam's USB port, or your computer's. Have any other USB devices that you can try with the computer? Any other computer that you can plug the Tascam into (just to see if it connects via USB)?

Sounds like a hardware problem, not Reaper.

Download another audio app (Audacity is free) and test it.

I would also try another usb cable and port.

If it still doesn't work, then you need to return the Tascam.

As of right now (Jan '13), there's 3 different types of USB. For my little tiny TASCAM interface to work (a US-144 mk II), I need at least USB 2.0. First-gen USB isn't fast enough.

No indicator light? That sounds like a hardware thing.

Again, maybe too obvious, but I'll throw it out there anyway....

Wwith everything turned on, un-plug and then re-plug the power for your US-1800 and wait a few seconds. See if anything happens.

That's all I got. :(

Again, maybe too obvious, but I'll throw it out there anyway....

Wwith everything turned on, un-plug and then re-plug the power for your US-1800 and wait a few seconds. See if anything happens.

That's all I got. :(

Words from Thomas Edison...(lol jus kidding RAMI,,Oh but look your entire post intact no edits WOW!!!)

yes haha. buut the light that indicates a valid usb connection isn't on. i've tested my usb ports and used two different cables, so I'm sure thats not the issue.

I had USB issues with the tascam 1641 and it was caused by Windows Update....I went back to a previous version and it worked fine.
Someone here lead me to this, cant recall exact poster...then others chimed in too and recommended "do not have Windows Updates in Auto mode" as it often can cause audio issues like I saw for some hardware mfg's...especially on older pc's.

in my case it messed with the USB sockets and if I recall my 2.0 was suddenly called 1.1 or something and it stopped working...hmm, I dont recall all the details.

If your USB light was on before and stopped working later this might be it.

What OS are you running? I'm running Reaper on a Macbook Pro with a TASCAM 1800 as well (cheers!), and I had the same issue with the 1800 - it was not recognized as an option for audio input or output. Turns out that was a known issue with Mountain Lion and TASCAM has updated the drivers for the 1800. If you're running Mountain Lion, you can download the newest 1800 drivers here on the 1800 product page on the TASCAM site (I can't post the link yet because I'm a noob). :)

I'm looking after one of those Tascam US-600, but as i'm a mac user (i have osx 10.7.5) i'm really worried about the working. Does it works with the new drivers?

Back