no sound at all with Mac?

chueh

I just downloaded and installed Reaper. I imported a midi file to it. The data was in the Reaper but no up or down on the volume meter when it's playing back.

Then, I tried a mp3 file. The meter was going up and down when playing back, yet still no sound.

I switched to the program (Garritan Personal Orchestra: Aria Player) I previous used a few hours ago. Aria Player got affected by the Reaper. There was no sound coming out from AP either. I could not even play the midi file again. AP was PERFECTLY fine before I installed the Reaper...... what happened?

I checked the Audio Device. Nothing was wrong with it, and it was set to be "Built-in." I changed to "System." Still, no sound.

Then, I tried the same MP3 file in iTune. It played just fine. Thus, I wonder why only music softwares are malfunctioning.

I just downloaded and installed Reaper. I imported a midi file to it. The data was in the Reaper but no up or down on the volume meter when it's playing back.

Then, I tried a mp3 file. The meter was going up and down when playing back, yet still no sound.

I switched to the program (Garritan Personal Orchestra: Aria Player) I previous used a few hours ago. Aria Player got affected by the Reaper. There was no sound coming out from AP either. I could not even play the midi file again. AP was PERFECTLY fine before I installed the Reaper...... what happened?

I checked the Audio Device. Nothing was wrong with it, and it was set to be "Built-in." I changed to "System." Still, no sound.

Then, I tried the same MP3 file in iTune. It played just fine. Thus, I wonder why only music softwares are malfunctioning.

Hi,
Ok...so midi and mp3 are two different things, so there's probably two separate things to deal with.

Start with the mp3. Import it and play.
No audio? Go to preferences and check the output device. It should be set to your audio interface, or built in audio if you don't have an external interface.

Sounds like you did that already, though, so check the sample rate in reaper settings then go to audio/midi setup (utilities) and make sure the system output device is set at the same sample rate.
That might help.

For midi, import the data and and try it. No sound? Load up a virtual instrument and insert it on the midi data track. You need that to create sound from midi. You'll also need to select a patch. Piano, for example.
The midi on its own is just data, similar to piano sheet music.

Is that any help?

Steenamaroo, thank you for the reply. I tried what you suggested: changing 48000 to 44100 hz to match the audio system in my Mac. I did created a virtual instrument track and recorded a piano sound. I could see the meter going up and down, but still no sound.

Do you have an external interface (where you can plug microphones or instruments such as an electric guitar into)? Do you have monitors plugged into your interface (if you have one)? If you don't have one what speakers are you trying to use to listen to the sound, speakers built into the computer (a laptop or speakers in the monitor maybe), or external speakers that you plug-in?

You'll have to change the settings in two places more than likely. You have to make sure that it's set in the Mac's Preferences (where you say you changed it from "Built-in" to "System") and in Reaper itself. Look for the Output settings and make sure it's set there too. If you're using speakers in a laptop or in the monitor setting it to "Built-in" for output should work fine.

Post back and let us know what you find.

I don't have an external interface, yet I have ipLoop installed, trying to sync Reaper of Mac to PC's DAW. I see where you are leading me; I will try to see if the outputs for both audio and midi are in correct connections or not, as well as other inputs and outputs. I am only using internal speaker a this point. Thanks

Do you have headphones plugged in?
I think the mac combo output can lead to confusions as it's digital capable, depending what's plugged in.

Try with nothing plugged in - just build in speakers.

No, steenamaroo, I don't have use headphones. Thus, it's just so odd to me that there is no sound coming out in the DAWs.. Audio settings seem to be right

I've got to be honest...You've stumped me.

If the system settings are set to built in, and the reaper settings are set to built in, you should be getting sound.
Are the output paths in reaper assigned correctly?

I know it's possible to choose the right device in Protools but have the output paths set incorrectly within the session.

Steenamaroo, you are not alone. LOL. But seriously I am going to give up on Reaper, because it's just so mysteriously not working for me!

I actually uninstalled ipLoop, Loopbe1, and Reaper. Then, I downloaded the Reaper again and re-installed it to see if sound would work. Still, NOPE (I did check audio output and set the same sample rate with the Mac! Well, time to say goodbye to Reaper. If the problem involves a lot of different aspects, I would have given it a try and work things out. However, the problem of no sound now does not seem involving other things much.

Thank you both of you for kindly trying to help me....

Steenamaroo, you are not alone. LOL. But seriously I am going to give up on Reaper, because it's just so mysteriously not working for me!

I actually uninstalled ipLoop, Loopbe1, and Reaper. Then, I downloaded the Reaper again and re-installed it to see if sound would work. Still, NOPE (I did check audio output and set the same sample rate with the Mac! Well, time to say goodbye to Reaper. If the problem involves a lot of different aspects, I would have given it a try and work things out. However, the problem of no sound now does not seem involving other things much.

Thank you both of you for kindly trying to help me....

Shame...and no problem. Glad to help, or try.

Just to clarify, you appreciate the difference between choosing the output device in the programs settings, and selecting output paths per track?
Each track can have a different output path, whether hardware or virtual.

It'd be worth confirming that the reaper track output and master track output are set correctly.

Back