New versions

rose62

The software is frequently updated. Do you mostly always download the latest version? Are there ever issues with saved projects from earlier versions?

I don't really keep up with the updates. That's mostly because neither of my audio machines are actually connected to the internet, so there's some fucking around that I have to do to accomplish it, but also because it's really kind of rare that the new features or even bug fixes actually impact my workflow. I did update recently to try out the automation items, but haven't actually found much use for them yet.

They really try hard to maintain backwards compatibility. Sometimes to the point of not fixing things that are obviously wonky just because it might change the way older projects sound or work. A lot of times when they overhaul things, they leave the old versions behind (sometimes marked deprecated) so as not to break things. I've seen a lot of people talk about how they update every time something comes out and never worry about old projects, so I really wouldn't worry about it. If you want to be super safe, though, you could always install the update as a portable install until you trust it.

I'm pretty bad about updating. My main recording PC is also air-gapped, but even my general work PC (which has it installed just in case) rarely gets updated.

I tend to stay updated. There's always a few bug fixes and new features that are worth exploring. It's been rare that a Reaper update has caused any issues for me. There may have been one last year but I can't even remember what the issue was. I've heard a couple of people around here that have had problems after an update, but they're pretty rare.

I think that people are way too scared about updates in general. Personally, I like bug fixes and new features. But I don't work in a professional or mission-critical setting, so my needs are different than the working pro.

Since I'm very new to Reaper, about all I can say is the update I had yesterday went smoothly - and fast. I haven't gotten into Reaper enough to be able to notice any possible cons to updating.

I'm not so much scared as lazy and generally content. :)

I do have a thing about updating in the middle of an important project, though.

The software is frequently updated. Do you mostly always download the latest version? Are there ever issues with saved projects from earlier versions?

If you stick to the official updates, they're usually tested pretty thoroughly by quite a lot of knowledgeable people & very seldom are there problems so unless you're a pro & up against time & money I'd say you're pretty safe?:thumbs up:

I just updated to 5.6 and it doesn't seem to have affected anything I've been using. They sure fix lots of stuff, don't they?

I generally update as soon as new versions are available. I have found the process to be quick, effective and unstressful.

Reaper is very good about their updates. They do a good job and have a great team working on it if something does slip through the cracks.

I just updated to Reaper 562 - no noticeable glitches yet.

When you guys update do you keep your older versions, or delete them? I save all previous versions.

Last edited:
I just updated to Reaper 562 - no noticeable glitches yet.

When you guys update, do you keep your older versions, or delete them? I save all previous versions.

You can safely delete them to save space, they are ALL available @ the bottom of the download page;Selection_001.png

You can go back as far as you like? :thumbs up:

Every now and again I discover that I have an accumulation of them, so I go through and delete them all except maybe the latest and the one before. Even though they are available on the home site, it saves me downloading if I have a need to re-install (which, interestingly, I have never had to do).

Back