New to digital compression

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I've been searching out and reading about how to use it. There are lots of way old threads here on the subject, and I have found some off-site articles.

I began by playing with ReaComp.. AND it has a preset for acoustic guitar (just what I'm working with). I played with it anyway just to feel my way around.

Since I'm making sure to record at the proper level (sound quality aside for now), I have found that the use of light EQ-ing and the comp plugin require gain make-up to my headphones. The auto gain in ReaComp does a fine job of increasing gain. The effects of compression are a bit hard for me to hear at this point, as I'm making them - I'm not fully sensitized to the finer changes in frequencies yet, but A/B-ing the FX/no FX on playback makes them more noticeable.

Compression - especially a relatively flexible comp plug like ReaComp - can be and is used for so many different reasons that it's almost impossible to even start to give general suggestions. Decide why you want compression, then set the controls appropriately. Most of the time I think if it really sounds like it's doing something, it's probably doing too much, but sometimes that's exactly what it needs.

Like with almost anything else, you just turn the knobs til it sounds good, and don't let anybody tell you it's wrong. ;)

That's pretty much what I do... I turn the knobs until it sounds good. The compressors in Reaper didn't seem to be doing much unless I slammed the knobs all the way in either direction, and then it was all strange effects sounds that would be cool for an old sci-fi movie, not my stuff. Then I read an article and knew what to listen for, and look for in the meters.

As to why I may want it, why I 'think' I want it is to smooth out the peaks and bring the lower levels up. An overall smoothing. My ultimate goal is to get that FM radio sound, and I know it's not all compression.

Where Kenny writes to the PreFX Volume envelope, I'd usually use the Take Volume envelope. Mostly because it's permanently attached to - and only affects - the take itself. The overall effect is exactly the same, but it simplifies a few things and just makes more sense to me.

But I also usually "cheat" by using ReaComp as a lookahead RMS leveler. This is a technique you don't hear about often, but works surprisingly well for almost anything. Vocals, acoustic guitars, bass guitars, kick drums, whole kits, even whole mixes! I made my own preset and it's honestly almost all I ever use a compressor for nowadays. Just set the PreComp slider as high as it gets (250ms), and set the RMS to twice that (500ms). Attack and Release at zero. For full mixes I usually set Ratio at 1.1 (really just as low as it goes without being 1), but for individual instruments you can go a bit higher. Set the threshold so that it's just starting to do do something on the louder parts, then turn up the knee until it's almost always doing something. Turn on Automatic Gain and go.

Where Kenny writes to the PreFX Volume envelope, I'd usually use the Take Volume envelope. Mostly because it's permanently attached to - and only affects - the take itself. The overall effect is exactly the same, but it simplifies a few things and just makes more sense to me.

Is that the envelope you get when you highlight the track control and press V ..? If so, then I do understand what you're saying - I've been playing around with that one and I like it a lot.

But I also usually "cheat" by using ReaComp as a lookahead RMS leveler. This is a technique you don't hear about often, but works surprisingly well for almost anything. Vocals, acoustic guitars, bass guitars, kick drums, whole kits, even whole mixes! I made my own preset and it's honestly almost all I ever use a compressor for nowadays. Just set the PreComp slider as high as it gets (250ms), and set the RMS to twice that (500ms). Attack and Release at zero. For full mixes I usually set Ratio at 1.1 (really just as low as it goes without being 1), but for individual instruments you can go a bit higher. Set the threshold so that it's just starting to do do something on the louder parts, then turn up the knee until it's almost always doing something. Turn on Automatic Gain and go.

Now on this, I can follow what you're doing but I'm not clear on it's usage (unfamiliar territory). I should just do it and see... Thanks!

Is that the envelope you get when you highlight the track control and press V ..? If so, then I do understand what you're saying - I've been playing around with that one and I like it a lot.
No? Honestly, I've never used that shortcut, so I can't say for sure. Right click the actual audio item and go Take|Take Envelope. That's the one I was talking about.
Now on this, I can follow what you're doing but I'm not clear on it's usage (unfamiliar territory). I should just do it and see... Thanks!
I sort of had to stop typing and start driving there. Those basic settings should make a real difference in the dynamic consistency on the track without much messing around. Like in many cases you can just set it real quick and let it do its thing and the specifics aren't super critical. It is just real subtle and transparent "automatic" leveling. You can (and should) mess with the threshold, knee, and ratio a bit depending on the source. You can also change the precomp/RMS times some. Just keep precomp about half of the RMS. But most of the point is to have it adjusting the gain at any given point based on the average of things around it - like the note or phrase before and after as well as where we are now - so longer is often better and specific timing isn't often critical.

What I usually do is slap this on first, then listen through and identify any parts that are still too far off from average - too high or too low - then maybe see if I can adjust some parameters to get closer without adversely affecting the rest, then if it's still just too dynamic, go to the Take Volume envelope. Note that nothing you do in ReaComp will be reflected in the waveform you see on the screen unless you render it. It forces you to use your ears, which is kind of never a bad thing.

For some things, I like to do "pre-emphasis/de-emphasis" EQ around this. Like put a ReaEQ before, use a low shelf to bring down the bass frequencies by a couple dbs, then copy that to a slot after ReaEQ and invert the band so it pushes those same frequencies back up. Then adjust the relative gain of them against each other. They don't have to be equal but opposite. Or maybe really boost the midrange going in and then pull it back down a bit after.

After that, with a lot of instruments, all it needs is a touch of saturation to shave off the peaks. I use my own JS thing, but for this it's not significantly different from some of the other JS saturators.

But now all of this is about trying to restrict the overall average to a smaller window so that the louder hits are not so much louder than the quietest while keeping the "internal dynamics" of individual hits as natural as possible. It maintains most of your transient information, but just makes everything a bit smoother. Ideally, this is handled in the performance. This technique can make a poorly controlled performance useable, and give a good-to-great performance just a touch more of a "finished" feel.

There are times, though, when that's not at all what you want. Sometimes you really do want to change those "internal dynamics" so that the attack of any given hit is either louder or quieter in comparison to the sustain portion. That's where the more traditional uses of compression come in. Most of those techniques work better, though, when the overall dynamic is more consistent. Whatever you're doing depends on the threshold, if one hit digs way in above the threshold while the other just tickles it on the top of the attack, then the output envelope of the two notes will be significantly different. So a lot of times using this leveling technique beforehand can make whatever else you're trying to do a lot easier.

No? Honestly, I've never used that shortcut, so I can't say for sure. Right click the actual audio item and go Take|Take Envelope. That's the one I was talking about.

Oh, I see. The V shortcut opens a separate envelope directly beneath the track item; Yours overlays the volume envelope onto the item. Nice.

And the rest of your post was great. I actually understand what you're describing. I'm going to go play with that for awhile.. Many thanks!

Compression can be a real pain because the various controls are far from intuitive. However, a bit of understanding will really allow you to adjust the correct setting to get the results you want.

One of the best resources to get the basics is one of the Rane Notes. Obviously they're talking about their hardware compressors but the explanations of the various adjustments applies to every dynamics processor, hardware or software. You can read all about it at Dynamics Processors -- Technology & Applications

Glad to help. I'm sure I'm not the first person to use this technique, but any time I turn somebody on to it, they report being really happy with the results. It's not a panacea, and the fact that it's so transparent makes it a little dangerous. You CAN take it too far and end with a kind of flat and boring sound. A really good tool to have in the box though.

It is one of a few things that are pretty much specific to digital compressors. You can sort of do "lookahead" with hardware, but it's weird and not easy. That, I think, is the main reason it's not used more often.

Back