Need help with reasamplomatic5000

damianhk

I've been learning to mix in reaper; I've been recording lo-fi for many years on tascam 4 and 8 tracks. I'd like to replace the kick drum track (it's isolated) with a sample. I found a plugin "reasamplomatic5000" and loaded a sample. Now, i have no idea how to apply that sample to the kick track. I know this may seem super easy to you, but not to me. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm also in the learning process here as a Reaper beginner. Here are a couple of quick videos covering adding samples to a track:

1. Illustrates the drag-and-drop method - HERE

2. Illustrates mouse click selection from your add-ons folder

YouTube

I'm still working out how I'm going to sequence mine as I have no keyboard and will not be using midi instruments. Placing individual notes onto the tracks can be tedious.

Good luck! :listeningmusic:

Thanks for video and reply. I know, too tedious for me. I found a trigger called stillwelldrumtrigger already in reaper and i put that before the reasamplomatic5000 sample and it works. Some of those tutorials assume that you know what they're saying; I can't tell you how many times i backed it up and turned up the volume to hear what they said, what they clicked. The triggering is tricky because i'll get multiple snares on one trigger, or the trigger will miss a filler snare at a lower volume. I think i have to create a midi track to get the consistency i want. That's another challenge. This old dog can learn new tricks, but it takes a while:)

I didn't know about stillwelldrumtrigger - thanks for mentioning it, I'll check it out.

Yeah, I know what you're saying about those tutorials. Many of those guys just fly through not remembering newbies aren't there yet. Following their mouse around gives me vertigo, and sometimes it's like an edited film's jump-cut when the screen blinks and the mouse reappears on the other side of the screen - usually at the exact second a mouse click is being described.

While browsing the videos I posted earlier, I noticed one had a (plug-in) TR-808 Rhythm Machine as a sequencer. I did a lot of drums with a (hardware) TR-707 and that worked well, although the sounds weren't as good as a lot of samples today.

I've been pouring through Reaper's User Guide and find it easy to follow, even without having the DAW installed yet. The one thing I'm concerned with is having so much fun playing around in it that I won't actually turn out a finished project. :D

yes, that (playing with samples) crossed my mind too. I will get off on this triggering tangent and use it as a distraction to not write and record. I'm rewatching that video you recommended. If i can get a handle on triggering, i think it will be good knowledge. So much to learn here.

Now, I'm looking into making a midi file for my isolated kick and snare tracks. Also, I may look into a different trigger (free). Stillwell isn't so good, or i haven't learned the settings, or i need a midi track for it it be accurate, or all of the above.

I used to do a lot of sequencing with midi in the earlier years of home computer/studios - I've forgotten all but the basics, except for using a rhythm machine. The rhythm (drum) machine's work surface is much easier for me to compose with than adding/copy/pasting/looping in a PC sequencer. I'm hoping Reaper will be easier. Looks like it will.

So far, all I've remembered from the Reaper manual about midi triggers is.. there is a screen that lets you assign a note to your sample (Kick, snare ..), like C60 for the Kick and C62 for the snare - these relate to your keyboard. It's in one of the videos I posted earlier.

I never used midi, and tried to get to the screen you mentioned for assigning notes and gave up. Too much for me to grasp right now. So true > ""The rhythm (drum) machine's work surface is much easier for me to compose"" I miss drum machines. I'm thinking about grabbing one, just incase i want to experiment. So far on pcdrummer, the hihats won't cancel each other out. You have to determine the milliseconds and make the hihat that length to prevent overlapping hi hats. I haven't looked, but if the newer drum machines have a usb output, that would awesome. On old recordings, i'd have cymbals and kick on one channel, and snare and toms on another channel.

I'm not sure I understand your hi-hat problem. You don't want an overlap? Reaper can crossfade the overlap, blending them together. Would that help? Or do you not want overlap - period?

Here's another Forum site for Reaper - Scroll down to Items Can Overlap. Possibly the page that opens will offer some info on that - or look around in other forums there.

Here's another place for tips: REAPER TIPS

I don't want an open hi hat extended over a closed hi hat; that doesn't happen naturally. I want it to cut off when the closed hat plays, like real drums. Drum machines do this by assigning hats to a channel so they won't overlap. Appreciate the tips. I'll read up tonight/

That is exactly what i was looking for and he does a good job of explaining. Thumbs up, But i managed to get it all to work by just using the wave files of the kick and snare. I will experiment this afternoon.

Yeah, dialing in drumtrigger > reasamplomatic can be pretty tricky

I've attached a track template that I use for a full kit.* If you look at "kick original" and "kick replace", you can see how I match them to each other.
View attachment drums.RTrackTemplate.txt

I like that Reaper has updated their tutorials. I remember learning off of Pipeline Audio's** tutorials years ago, but the default interface has changed so much since then!

* The forum made me add a .txt ending to the file name. You'll probably need to remove that for Reaper to recognize it. Once you've done that, put it in your USER\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\TrackTemplates\ folder and restart reaper. Then you can Insert > Track from template...

** Who sounds just like this Kenny Gioia guy actually

Thanks for those Kenny Gioia videos! I learned more in those two than I did from skimming through the manual. Do his videos cover all 486 pages of (R)TFM?:D

Back