Moving the Transport to another screen

Gordon Gibson

Hello all,

A simple question which has perphaps been already answered.

When I tape our band practices, I am seriously multi-tasking: looking up tempos, setting the metronome, counting in the tune, playing drums, monitoring the tempo on a beat counter....and being the tape op (starting and stopping recording usine the Transport).

I use 3 screens - the first has the strips, and shows the tracks, the second is for the mixer. I need lots of real estate because we are usually recording 28 tracks. On the third screen I have the app that contols my X32 rack via a dedicated router and network, which I am using as my audio interface (along with a Behringer stage snake to get 32 fulll mic inputs). THis third screen is close to the kit and easy to see. The other two are further away and harder to see.

I would like to take the Transport and "move" it to the screen that has the X32 rack interface, to avoid having to mouse across multiple screens, crane my neck to actually see the screen with the transport, etc. etc.

I know this isn't very well explained, but hopefully someone will understand. It was dead simple to move the mixer to another screen. What can't I do this with the Transport?

Am I missing something?

Gordon

I'm not at home at the moment, so I can't load up Reaper.

However, you should be able to undock the transport, then move it around. I can't remember how you undock it.

Does right-clicking on the transport give any clues?

I may miss the mark on this, but if you are tracking all analog, one room, not sure what you are doing all of this. I understanding setting the levels, but tempo, tempo on the beat counter (other than using the metronome). If you are just using it to track, I would just set the levels, count in the session live and do the detail stuff after the tracking sessions.

I've set up a template so all of the tracks are ready and armed, only making sure I save each set as a project for later work. Other than the levels, not sure why you are doing so many other tasks. Those tasks can be done later IMO.

If you want to make sure you are keeping time, get a metronome for each session, make notes of the tempo and then edit the tempo for that session later when you go to do your mixing. That is the beauty of digital, makes our life easier. Focus on the tracking and sound, that you can't fix later.

DM60

We're taking practicesto give us a tool to improve arrangements, tightness, etc. so at this point performance is far more important than the actual sound. I am using an external metronome and beat counter mounted to my cymbal stands for convenience, and am quite happy with this arrangement - it can easily be brought to club gigs, etc.

All I really want to do is move Reaper's transport to the computer monitor screen that is easiest to see from my kit.

Thanks

Gordon

Yea, that actually is my point. If you are already using a metronome, you have the BPM you will record in for each set, then after recording you can set the BPM and you can still work with the audio. The BPM isn't fixed just because you recorded it at that BPM. It may make your life easier.

I didn't watch all of the video, but it might help with your question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E81gM1ExiI

Click View and then Docker. Your transport should be there in the floating Dock. If not, Right Click anywhere on the Transport (not on a button) and select Dock Transport In Docker. Then drag it from screen to screen as you choose.

Mr.Clean,

You da man!!!! Worked perfectly - exactly as you described. Thought I had unsuccessfully tried that in the past....but you canè argue with a successul result.

Much thanks!

Gordon

Back