moving multiple items

liv_rong

Knows very little
I know how to select all and move and entire project up or down the timeline but how do you select a group of tracks vertically and move them? For example, when I play with people Ill often times record everything and then go through and find the parts worth listening back to for listening or learning purposes. Usually Ill just go and render a section or two or three or whatever and be done with it but yesterdays one of the guitar players wanted to hear even all the small figuring stuff out parts. I figured it would take forever to render each individual section and thought Id just cut out the noise or banter and then bump all the sections up the timeline and make one long mp3 for him to listen to. But once I started I realized I didnt know how to move it over so I ended up doing it one at a time and it took a while lol. If that doesnt make sense take a look at this screen shot, I just want to know how to grab all eight of those tracks in a group and move them. Also, is there a way to use markers to create start and stop points for doing like mass automated rendering? Or can you suggest another way to go about this if it comes up in the future?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• reaper screen cut.jpg
    reaper screen cut.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I'm not seeing your screen shot..

But you can select the tracks the same way you select files and folders in your OS's directory- using the SHIFT and CTRL buttons in conjunction with the mouse.. either hold CTRL and select the tracks you want, or select the bottom track, then hold down SHIFT and select the top track and it'll grab those two and everything in between.

I'm not seeing your screen shot..

But you can select the tracks the same way you select files and folders in your OS's directory- using the SHIFT and CTRL buttons in conjunction with the mouse.. either hold CTRL and select the tracks you want, or select the bottom track, then hold down SHIFT and select the top track and it'll grab those two and everything in between.

Thanks, that simple!

You can also right-click-drag to lasso a selection the way you might left-click-drag in other programs.

For what you're doing though, regions might be better and easier. The easiest way to do that is click to select one of the Items (you're not actually talking about moving Tracks, just the audio Items on the Tracks), then right click on the timeline itself and go "Set selection to items", then right click the timeline again and "Create region from time selection". You can name the region if you want, or just leave it numbered. You can then click inside that region on the timeline and drag the whole thing around and it takes all the items and everything with it, or you can choose Regions in the render dialogue, which should bring up the regions render matrix where you can tell it which regions to render and how and it will render them all to seperate files at one time.

You can also right-click-drag to lasso a selection the way you might left-click-drag in other programs.

For what you're doing though, regions might be better and easier. The easiest way to do that is click to select one of the Items (you're not actually talking about moving Tracks, just the audio Items on the Tracks), then right click on the timeline itself and go "Set selection to items", then right click the timeline again and "Create region from time selection". You can name the region if you want, or just leave it numbered. You can then click inside that region on the timeline and drag the whole thing around and it takes all the items and everything with it, or you can choose Regions in the render dialogue, which should bring up the regions render matrix where you can tell it which regions to render and how and it will render them all to seperate files at one time.

That's awesome, thanks!

You could just delete all that space from measures 145 to 160. You just highlight the area, right click, and select "delete space and move later items" (or something like that). As Ashcat said, making regions is another solution.

Back