moving files...do they get lost?

CoolCat

I had an idea to create folders labeled with years as the title.
Then move all the song projects, files everything.. into the, year named, folder.

If I do this and will the files and rrp and wav tracking stuff, be lost when Reaper trys to find them?

thanks for any info...
for now I am making copys but would like to delete the duplicates eventually.

The best way to move projects and their files is with Reaper itself.

So you would create your folder say "2014" and then create another folder inside the 2014 folder with the "Song/Project Name"

Then open that project in Reaper, click File>>>Save Project As. Tick the box for Move all media into project directory and then Save.

That way, all files associated with your project will be moved as one and there'll be no confusion. When you fire up the project from you New Folder in future, all files will be there and located by Reaper no problem.

If you already have your projects in their own folders, just drag and drop them over, Reaper will find the paths no problem.

:thumbs up:

Mr. Clean probably has the right of it. Save the the files with Reaper.

You can configure Reaper to store project files in a specific location, either relative to the project or in an absolute path (e.g. c:\recordingProjects\files)
If you use relative paths, copying the entire folder will copy all of the files too and make it easy to keep track of.

If something goes awry, Reaper can lose track of files (happens to me periodically). What will happen in that case is that when you open the project, it will tell you it can't find a file and prompt you to find it. Once you do that, it will also look in that folder for any other missing files.
Once you've done that, you should probably "save as..." and "Move all media..." as above or "copy all media..." if the file is shared by multiple projects.

ok. im going to try that.... in hindisght I wish I'd been more organized in the beginning.
thanks..for the inputs/ tip[s..

I did that.
Tell me if this is wrong?

I opened the song in Reaper did a Save As and had the "all media" checked and saved to the new Folder.

Now in the new folder it shows a Reaper icon, but the hardrive still shows the old copy.
Can I move this other copy into the same folder without deleting and without confusing reaper by having two files of the same in the New Folder?

No, if you do that, Windows (or whatever your OS is) will give you a message that that file already exists, do you want to save it under a new name or overwrite it?
That's your old version in the old place, and a new (copy) in the new folder.

Back