Monitoring tracks

If it's through the DAW it's almost certainly not direct monitoring. Direct monitoring is controlled by a knob on the interface or by the interface's control panel. The whole point of direct monitoring is to bypass the trip through the computer and the DAW.

I suppose there's a remote chance some DAW can control some interface's DSP direct monitoring arrangement, but if the interface has a simple knob to balance the inputs with the playback there's no way for the DAW to access that feature.

It's a simple choice. If you want the lowest latency (I consider 5ms to be the absolute maximum allowable) and you don't want to lower your buffers to the point where you risk dropouts use direct monitoring and turn off the DAW's input monitoring. If you need to hear inputs after they've been processed by the DAW you've painted yourself into a corner and you have to use the DAW's input monitoring.

I have not found a way to use the 824s direct monitoring feature with Reaper, I will use the monitor feature in Reaper and see how it goes. Thanks

I have not found a way to use the 824s direct monitoring feature with Reaper, I will use the monitor feature in Reaper and see how it goes. Thanks

Some of the DSP control panels of larger interfaces are a bit challenging. Generally most of the options aren't used by most of the users, so there's a lot to dig through to get what you want. But it should be doable with a little help from someone who's familiar with your particular interface.

If it's through the DAW it's almost certainly not direct monitoring. Direct monitoring is controlled by a knob on the interface or by the interface's control panel. The whole point of direct monitoring is to bypass the trip through the computer and the DAW.

I suppose there's a remote chance some DAW can control some interface's DSP direct monitoring arrangement, but if the interface has a simple knob to balance the inputs with the playback there's no way for the DAW to access that feature

ASIO Direct Monitoring (ADM) is actually a feature in Cubase. I thought that a few other DAWs had that feature as well, but a quick search doesn't turn up much. Maybe they call it something else. As far as I know, its the same thing as Monitoring via your interface routing software, but it's moved into Cubase for convenience. Sounds like it's only supported by certain hardware manufacturers.

The only reason that I know about it is because I was chasing this same kind of functionality where the monitoring button in my Reaper tracks would trigger a direct feed from my interface's input. But no such feature is available in Reaper.

ASIO Direct Monitoring (ADM) is actually a feature in Cubase. I thought that a few other DAWs had that feature as well, but a quick search doesn't turn up much. Maybe they call it something else. As far as I know, its the same thing as Monitoring via your interface routing software, but it's moved into Cubase for convenience. Sounds like it's only supported by certain hardware manufacturers.

The only reason that I know about it is because I was chasing this same kind of functionality where the monitoring button in my Reaper tracks would trigger a direct feed from my interface's input. But no such feature is available in Reaper.

Well, if the "direct" input monitoring is already consigned to DSP it makes sense to exploit the opportunity to control the DSP from the DAW.

Yeah heck, since I've moved to an RME interface, the latency is so low that I no longer have to worry about direct Monitoring :)

I can even use reainsert to send a track through hardware units and it's still almost instantaneous while Monitoring via Reaper. It's just !marvelous.

...also, why the heck does my autocorrect insist on capatilizing Monitoring? Weird...

ok Gecko. Splain how you do that!:laughings:

I don't.

That's because I made a mistake.

Sorry. I use software monitoring via Reaper. The Presonus allows hardware direct monitoring. It seems the UR824 uses software to control the hardware. Reaper doesn't do that.

I don't.

That's because I made a mistake.

Sorry. I use software monitoring via Reaper. The Presonus allows hardware direct monitoring. It seems the UR824 uses software to control the hardware. Reaper doesn't do that.[/QUOTE

I think using the monitoring in Reaper will work. I will find out next week. Thanks

Back