Media gets muted when when I click it

YanKleber

Retired
Hi!

After a long time using Reaper this is the first time it happens... I am editing a song and need to cut out some chunks of vocal but I am having a bad time. When I click over the vocal media to select it (and tell Reaper that I want to slice only that one) it gets dark gray and stop to produce sound. The media is still there but becomes mute. I noticed that differently from my other vocal tracks, this one has two graphic stripes: a narrow one at top with the wav graphics and a wide one below that with a flat thin line (like silence).

I think I may have touched something by mistake (probably a keyboard key) that changed something in the media or in the track it but have no idea what was!

Any clue?

:confused:

Sounds to me like you've got two takes there. One is at least mostly empty or silent, and the other is what you want to use. Clicking one of those will make it active - the one you actually hear when you playback. When you're trying to select the item, you must be clicking the silent take, making it active, and then "hearing" the silence.

Since it doesn't sound to me like you did this on purpose or actually want that silent take involved, get rid of it. Click on the take with sound to make it active, then right click on it, go Take|Crop to active take. Then you'll be back to just the one take you actually wanted.

Ash, thanks for your help!

Now this is very weird. Last night when I posted this message I was so frustrated with this problem that I just closed Reaper, turned computer off and went to bed. This morning I opened Reaper, reloaded the project and guess what... my medias were looking fine (not the flat liner part) and behaving perfectly. I am mad with myself that I didn't try to close and reopen Reaper last night but actually it didn't seem to be the kind of issue caused by a corrupted instance of the problem that a restart could solve. I have no idea what really happened here since it became normal without to touch anything.

:wtf:

Back