Matching an imported drum to the grid

I've watched several vids on 'beat detection' but they seem to conflict. Does anyone use this feature on Reaper?

You have an audio track with very defined transients. Start it on the beat, visually work out the closest whole number BPM, then just edit the number until it maps to the grid exactly. You can go to about 1/10000th of a beat. I (used to) do it all the time. Fuck "beat detection" just map it visually, it's not that hard. 4 days later and you're still working it out? You almost got there with 84.3. Now go 84.3418, or whatever the exact number is, and you're done.

It's called Timebase. You have the option of Time or Beats. Each item can have it's own, and there are global presets. By default audio items are set to Time, so they shouldn't change when you change tempo. MIDI items I think default to beats, so they follow tempo changes.

I still think stretching the audio item is the quickest and easiest way to do it, unless the tempo drifts wildly.

File, Project Settings, Timebase for Items/Envelopes/Markers=Time, OK
Then you just adjust the BPM until it matches your imported "drummer." Then the grid matches your "drummer" and you can edit more easily. Most likely I will learn enough not to need this method, but for now it is invaluable.

Back