Matching an imported drum to the grid

I've got the BPM on Reaper controlling the keyboard drums now. But the drums are not importing to the track. I hear them through the Casio's speakers but there is no meter action on the track program.

I don't think your keyboard will input MIDI to Reaper, you can try but it will need to be a MIDI track and record. Best bet is record the drums sounds (analog) from the Casio out and Reaper controlling the BPM. Then you can use a loop for your drum track or record as much as you need.

To clarify, reaper will record midi from your keyboard, but the rhythm presets dont send midi information. If you were to play something using the keys, it would send the info.

There is no such thing as a "MIDI track" in Reaper. If you want to record MIDI, then you select a MIDI input. If you want to record audio, then you select an audio input.

It's true that the "right way" is to use MIDI to sync the keyboard to Reaper's clock during recording, but the time stretch/Playrate stuff (which really was the OP question) is very powerful and pretty important. If you don't know how to do it, you should learn.

Ok, so now I can get the timing from Reaper. Is there a way to assign the keys on the Casio to give me the 'fills' and 'breaks' that I could do before? The controls on the keyboard don't work when Reaper is controlling the Casio. What I have now is the headphone jack plugged into the #2 input on the Focusrite and when I hit record the drums begin. But, as I said, I can't add the fill or breaks with the Casio buttons.

You know... maybe this setup is more hassle than it's worth. Especially for a placeholder until you get some real drums recorded.

The time-stretching thing would probably be easier with the workflow you are comfortable with. Actually programming midi drums in reaper and using a drum VST to play them would be the best choice with the most control.

What is making this difficult is you are just trying to get a level of functionality that the stuff you have was never designed for. So there will be compromises. (it can be lined to the grid, but without fills. You can have fills, but need to time stretch to line it to the grid, etc...)

That's shocking. I had no idea.
Why would it? It's meant to be something to play along to, not to be part of the performance.
I suppose it's possible that the drum part is transmitted on a different midi channel, but someone would have to dig into the manual to find that out.

I would imagine there is. On your Casio, can do a live keyboard overdub while the Casio plays back its rhythm presets for you--that's the point of having the presets in the first place. The fact that the internal clock is synced to Reaper shouldn't change that. But I don't know the specifics of your instrument.

Why would it? It's meant to be something to play along to, not to be part of the performance.
I suppose it's possible that the drum part is transmitted on a different midi channel, but someone would have to dig into the manual to find that out.

Because it seems like a basic capability. Those preset patterns ultimately are just MIDI information that is being routed from the Casio's internal storage to its tone generator or sample player. If that information can't be routed to the MIDI out plug as well, then that was a conscious decision by the manufacturer.

I don't know, maybe that's typical on keyboards in this range. I'm just surprised. I could route out MIDI from preset patterns on the Boss DR5 that I bought in 1995, the first piece of MIDI gear I ever owned.

I just figured that, since it is a keyboard that you would get at Walmart, it wouldn't have a lot of built in professional functionality.

Nothing against Walmart keyboards, or using what you have. But trying to do higher level things with lower level equipment can be frustrating, or impossible, depending on what you are trying to do with what.

I'm trying to make my songs sound the best that I can until I get real drums on each track. Because I know that once I go there I'm beginning ANOTHER learning curve. So having the capability to add rolls, fills and breaks with the Casio is just gravy for the time being. I can add effects, reverb and such and make it sound decent, to my ears anyway. As for this method being harder than another, that is no doubt true. But damn! trying to find exactly what I need to know in the Reaper manual is daunting. I've tried reading it from the beginning and that just ain't too helpful. So the method I'm trying is to record something and solve issues and learn stuff as it comes up. I am beyond green. Been playing for over 35 years but never got into recording or even sound for that matter. But being in a band just got to the point of being more trouble (bandmate wise) than it's worth. But like most of you, I can't just quit: gotta have an outlet. And with no history at this, I'm starting from scratch. I've got a Lenovo laptop loaded with Reaper, a Focusrite 2i4, an SM57 and 58, a pile of amps and guitars and the Casio.

I would imagine there is. On your Casio, can do a live keyboard overdub while the Casio plays back its rhythm presets for you--that's the point of having the presets in the first place. The fact that the internal clock is synced to Reaper shouldn't change that. But I don't know the specifics of your instrument.

From the manual, when you go to MIDI mode on this keyboard, it's either/or audio/MIDI, not both. It doesn't have a built-in sequencer, so there's no overdubbing. Like Farview said, it's meant for playing along with. It appears to transmit/receive only on Ch 1 in simple mode, and in multi-mode, receive on 4 channels (only).

Well, it a garage-sale keyboard. When I bought it for $15 I didn't even know what MIDI is (still don't think I could explain it!). So what would you guys vote for as a replacement for what I'm doing now? A Drum program? I wouldn't have to build my own beats, would I? I'm sure as hell no drummer!

Reading the manual from beginning to end would be a nightmare. You are going about it the right way. Chances are, you will never need a good percentage of the features in reaper, so there is no point wasting time and brain space reading about them.

I think most people in your position will program the beats in midi and use a vst for the sounds. It really isn't that hard. You know what you want it to sound like, so you just have to count it out. Once you program a measure of the beat, just copy/paste it down the timeline. Then go back and replace it with fills where you want them.

Midi is just control information. ie. This note is played at this time for this long this hard. If you record the midi information, you have recorded the performance, but not the sound. Now, you can take that performance and apply it to any sound you wish.

Well, it a garage-sale keyboard. When I bought it for $15 I didn't even know what MIDI is (still don't think I could explain it!). So what would you guys vote for as a replacement for what I'm doing now? A Drum program? I wouldn't have to build my own beats, would I? I'm sure as hell no drummer!

Since you don't want to build your own beats, a VSTi like EZDrummer2 would be the ticket - easy to use (audition the library, drag to the modify bar -if you want to change anything, then drag to the MIDI drum track). Of course there are lots of 'you can also do this by doing ...' things but its easy to start up a basic drum track with. And sounds much better than the loops in the Casio (Casio owner/user here!)

I been playing with the 'detect tempo' menu. My Casio is actually delivering about 84.3 BPM when set at 85. I didn't even know that you could have a decimal setting in the Reaper BPM.

I've watched several vids on 'beat detection' but they seem to conflict. Does anyone use this feature on Reaper?

I regularly used a Drum machine for my sketch rhythm before building tracks etc. I haven't used that as much lately but felt nostalgic and went back to it for a project.
I then tried to tempo map the track because a drummer asked about the tempo & I didn't actually know SO I exported a rough audio of the tracks and imported the stereo into a program I knew could tempo mad and set up for midi from that quite well.
The program did what was needed but the tempo wandered from 117 to 119 throughout the thing - and not within discrete bars either - dratted thing.
My drum machine has had the wanders all along it seems (it was bought in 86 though). No I know what Greg_L was on about when he said one of my tracks was hard to follow. Sadly my interface doesn't have a midi input/throughput so the drum machine's more than a little redundant now - except for manual hits I suppose.
I need to use something synched up or based on a good metronome in future.

Back