Mastering in Reaper

Guys can we have some techniques to master tracks in Reaper. Many users have been using Reaper to master their tracks. If we can have any tutorial on it would be amazing.

If I'm not mistaken the only way to do any sort of "Mastering" in reaper is to use the master bus. If you have a bunch of songs to master you would need to render them and then start a new project and insert each mixdown as a separate track to check the flow from one track to the next.

It's not necessary to use the master bus, though there are occasions where you would.

If you have a set of, say, six songs to master, then one way of doing it in Reaper (and any other DAW for that matter) is to load them all up as separate tracks, all running in parallel. That way you can compare relative levels quite easily (using track mute and solo), and apply compression or whatever on individual tracks to raise volumes so that you end up with consistent and cohesive levels (i.e. quiet songs sound quiet, louder ones sound loud and so on). If you discover you need to apply a global fix of some sort (e.g. adjusting the EQ on all tracks), then you can do this with an insert on the master bus.

Thanks guys but you mean to say once I have done mixing and made my songs it into a WAV then I need to load all my songs on each track of the mixer and the adjust the levels and stuff and make sure each levels are similar.

But according to the different songs might require different EQ and FX settings I hope thats not a problem.

As far as adding compression and stuff what else can we do to enhance the song in Reaper.

Regards
Khushal B

But according to the different songs might require different EQ and FX settings I hope thats not a problem.

As far as adding compression and stuff what else can we do to enhance the song in Reaper.

Regards
Khushal B

As far as using FX and EQ, I would assume you would just add them as inserts into each track.

After "]compression and stuff" it should already be enhanced IMO

It goes back to my post.

If you are using Reaper for mastering, and you want to do something specific to a track, then use the plugin as an insert on that track, even if it is a plugin that you would otherwise use via a send.

If, on the other hand, you want to apply an effect globally, use that plugin as an insert on the output.

If you want to use the same effect on all tracks, but to varying degrees, then use a send.

Mastering is a process.

If you understand the process, then you can do it on any daw.... Cubase, Reaper, ProTools, whatever.

Learn the basic underlying process, not 'push button A in plugin B'.....

Mastering is a process.

If you understand the process, then you can do it on any daw.... Cubase, Reaper, ProTools, whatever.

Learn the basic underlying process, not 'push button A in plugin B'.....

QFT. That said, I'm relatively sure Reaper doesn't have much in the way of mastering-specific tools for things like sequencing, PQ codes, etc.

I use Reaper to master often, It handles high quality plug-ins really nice and on each individual plug-in you have a wet/dry mix nob. Really great for mastering with dynamic processors.

If you have a set of, say, six songs to master, then one way of doing it in Reaper (and any other DAW for that matter) is to load them all up as separate tracks, all running in parallel. That way you can compare relative levels quite easily (using track mute and solo), and apply compression or whatever on individual tracks to raise volumes so that you end up with consistent and cohesive levels (i.e. quiet songs sound quiet, louder ones sound loud and so on). If you discover you need to apply a global fix of some sort (e.g. adjusting the EQ on all tracks), then you can do this with an insert on the master bus.

I do that as well. The only things I put on the master bus are a dc terminator and dithering plugin.

Who realizes that both of you replied to a 2 year old thread? Beside the point that you both have nothing relevant to say. Don't make me go all Chili on your ass!

lol! I'm just playing with these. Any one want to ban? Anyone?

Beside the point that you both have nothing relevant to say.
Except that while it was said what can be put on every track, I thought it made sense to point out what's relevant for the master bus.
And when a thread is active, some people read old stuff, no matter if it's 2 years or 2 hours old. That's the good thing about forums. It can be a several-years-spanning conversation. And still relevant.

Except that while it was said what can be put on every track, I thought it made sense to point out what's relevant for the master bus.
And when a thread is active, some people read old stuff, no matter if it's 2 years or 2 hours old. That's the good thing about forums. It can be a several-years-spanning conversation. And still relevant.

I have to agree. It's not like this was the best mic currently available for under $100 bucks thread (in which case the post might be too old to be useful). The last couple of comments were still relevant.

That said, I'm relatively sure Reaper doesn't have much in the way of mastering-specific tools for things like sequencing, PQ codes, etc.

Well it might be worth updating this thread to point out that Reaper can now create DDP filesets. DDP turns it into a fairly serious mastering contender.

James.

Back