Making volume changes in single take

rose62

Is it possible to swell the volume of a track after the fact? I'm using an Alesis SR16 and would like to swell at various moments. Can I do that without doing a separate take?

Click on the take's track control to highlight it. Then type the letter "V" to open a volume envelope which will appear below the take, similar to another track. Next, you should disable SNAP to GRID by clicking the green horseshoe icon in the track control. Now you can drag the volume line in this envelope up and down as is, or CTRL / LEFT-CLICK to add points along the line to fix those positions - then drag the line between those points up or down or side-to-side to affect specific areas. Play around with these points and the distances between to get gradual or immediate volume changes with sloping or angled lines. Once you're satisfied with the adjustments, you can close the envelope ("V" again) - this will remove it from view, but it will still be in effect. Then go back and turn on SNAP to GRID (if you're using it).

Reaper offers several methods of accomplishing this. Check out Kenny's video:

HERE

Last edited:
You can also 'write' automation in real time, by enabling that function, playing the track and moving the volume slider.

This is one of the most helpful and responsive forums that I visit. Thanks all, for your help. I really appreciate it.

Back