Making Reaper find the LAME encoder

Armistice

Son of Yoda
OK, so this is getting annoying....

As per the other thread I've downloaded the LAME encoder. 64 bit as I'm on Win 7 64 bit.

I put it in the REAPER program folder. Reaper tells me when I try to render that it wants it in a specific folder and gives me that path. I can't access that folder in Windows Explorer... it's invisible. Nonetheless by opening 2 Explorers I manage to get the DLL file to the right place.

Reaper thinks it's not there, and even when I open up the file location from within Reaper, I can see the damn file, but Reaper ain't playing.

Then I notice that it's looking for lame_enc64.dll. My file is called lame_enc.dll. All the 64 bit versions I find on the web are called just lame_enc.dll.

I try changing the name to lame_enc64.dll to see if that makes a difference.

Nope.

So even though I have the file where Reaper says it wants it, Reaper ain't rendering.

Any clues here? It's bizarre for a start that its desired location appears to be in a hidden folder, but having gotten over that, I can't see why it won't work.

Can I specify another location somehow?

Any help appreciated!

I'm not in front of my DAW PC right now, so can't look at my installation.

When you say you can't see the folder, do you mean that Windows isn't showing you anything (i.e. on the left of Explorer it tells you this folder's contents are hidden) or can you see some stuff, but the one you want is not there?

If the latter, you can choose to see hidden files and folders in folder options (this is under 'Tools' in the Explorer menu on the XP machine I'm on right now).

Have you restarted Reaper and/or your PC?

I'll have a look later if noone can sort you out by then...

From Reaper Changes Log : x64: now requires libmp3lame.dll or lame_enc64.dll (old x64 lame_enc.dll was broken)

Try the one from here. Lame MP3 Encoder Binaries - There is a x64 folder inside the zip file. Copy the files from there to your Reaper folder. (it's safe, I've downloaded and scanned)

Yeah have rebooted etc. JD.

When the render fails, Reaper tells me that the encoder has to be put in a specific location ie. C:/something/ something / UserName / AppData / and a few more subfolders I can't remember (different PC)...

For some reason Windows has hidden the AppData folder off User Name e so I can't get it on the left hand side of Win Explorer but I can get the encoder file on the right hand side, so I can get it where it's supposed to be using two Win Explorer instances, but not working anyway!

I can't remember how to make hidden folders reappear especially when it's not really hidden seeing Reaper gives me a link to open it up in Win Ex.

Anyway, it sounds like Mr Clean has got a lead for me so I'll give that a go in the morning or over the weekend - thanks MrC! - just back from band practice now and heading for bed. ;)

Cheers!

To show hidden folders, open any folder, click tools, folder options, on the view tab, tick show hidden folders and files. Click apply to all folders and OK.

Let us know how you get on.

That seems to have worked OK thanks MrClean.... I put both the files from your link into the "hidden" folder (absolutely doesn't work at the Reaper folder, and one of them appears to have worked!

Now, if I could just get iTunes to stop fucking with me with its latest upgrade, I'll be able to have a listen on the iPod and hear what it sounds like. I swear, I don't know which one I hate more... Apple or Microsoft with their desire to protect people from themselves... or whatever it is they think they're doing...

Thanks again all...

I'm glad it worked for you. Strange it not working with the files in the Reaper directory though. Are you on an Administrator Account on windows or just a Standard User?

I can't help with iTunes though, sorry. I know nothing about it and don't want to :laughings:

Microsoft! "Administrator Account on windows or just a Standard User" - I'm the only user on my home computer, yet I often get pop-ups 'you need to have administrator rights to ..... please log in as an administrator' - then it lets me do it anyway. :facepalm:

Microsoft! "Administrator Account on windows or just a Standard User" - I'm the only user on my home computer, yet I often get pop-ups 'you need to have administrator rights to ..... please log in as an administrator' - then it lets me do it anyway. :facepalm:

I actually created a separate admin log in on this PC as it appeared I had to to get JBridge up and going with the 64 bit Reaper.... still can't see the "hidden" folder... and I have to give authority from my normal log-in every time I fire Reaper up... thanks Microsoft...

And iTunes had somewhere along the line apparently upgraded itself and decided to download 1000 songs onto my iPod, which should already have been there, when I plugged it in to the PC... and I was only trying to get one across... thanks Apple...!

When I finally listened to the tune I decided it wasn't as awesomely mixed as I expected... but I guess I can't blame anyone for that but me... :D:facepalm: *sighs*

You can turn Admin Authentication off in Windows7. Can't remember how, User Access Controls somewhere. I don't use Windows7 anymore.

You can also right click on a program file, click properties and the should be a tick box somewhere on one of the tabs to 'Always Run As Administrator' or something to that effect. Might stop annoying you so much then ;)

Yeah, you're right. All stuff I used to know how to do years ago... I'll do some right clickin' and see what I can find. Cheers

You can turn Admin Authentication off in Windows7.

yeah, but don't! The admin prompts are actually a really good security feature. They prevent privilege escalation by malicious programs. With the prompts, if malware takes over while you're logged on, it can only take over YOUR account and can't get the entire computer with an admin account. (Less access = less impact = easier to remove = less terrible day overall)

I'm running Win 7 x64 at home. I'll try to remember to post any quirks that I can see on my LAME config.

My guy says that if it's not a path or filename issue, it might be file permissions.

yeah, but don't! The admin prompts are actually a really good security feature. They prevent privilege escalation by malicious programs. With the prompts, if malware takes over while you're logged on, it can only take over YOUR account and can't get the entire computer with an admin account. (Less access = less impact = easier to remove = less terrible day overall)

I'm running Win 7 x64 at home. I'll try to remember to post any quirks that I can see on my LAME config.

My guy says that if it's not a path or filename issue, it might be file permissions.

Good point, although I don't actually connect this baby to teh nasty interwebz except to update Windows and stuff.... still I suppose seeing I USB stuff onto it from another PC there's a risk of transference... plus, I'm too lazy to sort it out.. :D

Good point, although I don't actually connect this baby to teh nasty interwebz except to update Windows and stuff.... still I suppose seeing I USB stuff onto it from another PC there's a risk of transference... plus, I'm too lazy to sort it out.. :D

If it's a dedicated machine, just so long as you're careful what you transfer onto it, you're probably fine. (My recording box is unpatched Win XP will all the security features turned off!)

So I just checked on my Win7 (86x64) machine. I have lame_enc.dll in the Reaper install base folder. (So if you installed reaper to c:\Program Files\Reaper like they recommended, that'd be where you put LAME)

I have used Reaper 32bit for several years ..... Twice Reaper has simply just stopped recognizing the lame dll file. Today it happened again. The file is there located in the plugins where it's always been .. I have tried downloading new versions, replacing the old, placed it in as many location as I am advised to do ..... but nothing, REAPER, or the Grim Reaper has just simply killed the connection. Any thoughts?

Jorge

I have used Reaper 32bit for several years ..... Twice Reaper has simply just stopped recognizing the lame dll file. Today it happened again. The file is there located in the plugins where it's always been .. I have tried downloading new versions, replacing the old, placed it in as many location as I am advised to do ..... but nothing, REAPER, or the Grim Reaper has just simply killed the connection. Any thoughts?

Jorge

Did you read through this thread before posting?

You should put the lame_enc.dll in the Reaper Directory, (C:\Program Files\Reaper) not in the plugins folders or anywhere else. If it's in the correct place, Reaper should not have a problem finding it.

:thumbs up:

Back