Insert - - New MIDI Item

spantini

COO of me, inc.
Is it possible to change the default track length of a newly inserted MIDI item to match the project - so it adds it at the full track length?

I know how to change it after it's added, just seems like there'd be a changeable default setting somewhere - I can't find it.

If there's no MIDI data, it really doesn't matter. But you should be able to 'grab' the end and pull it to the length you need.

highlight the area you want, then insert.

I tried that one. Took forever to scroll the selection area the full length. Maybe I was doing that the wrong way.. I don't know.

If there's no MIDI data, it really doesn't matter. But you should be able to 'grab' the end and pull it to the length you need.

I tried that way, too. This also took forever to get to the end of the project (90 + bars).

And, as you say, not having MIDI data, it doesn't matter.. as I came to realize below.

Without a menu selection to set the default length, I've found the quickest way is to just insert the MIDI item as the default 1 Bar, then right-click the track item which lets me set the current track length - but no way to make that the default.. it's just for this project.

I re-watched Kenny's MIDI video, but that didn't touch on inserting new MIDI items. All he did was add a track and route his keyboard to it so playing the instrument defined the track length. This also works for step sequencing and may just be how it's done since you don't have to define the track length, just keep adding notes and it stretches to fit.

Well, it seems I've come to a resolution just by talking to you guys. Thanks!

Last edited:
If there's another item in the project that is the length you want, you can click on that to select it, then right click the ruler and Set Selection to Items (pretty sure that's what it's called) and save all the zooming and scrolling. I assigned a keyboard shortcut to that action so it's even faster.

If there's another item in the project that is the length you want, you can click on that to select it, then right click the ruler and Set Selection to Items ...

That does it! I can use this when I've already got a full track, and do the zoom-out/drag for a single MIDI item.

Alright! :D

Back