Importing media from one track to another

rose62

I'm doing an acoustic version of a tune and want to import the vocal part from the earlier version. So, I created and armed a new track, went to "insert," then, "media file" which tool me to my comp files where the Reaper media files were. I clicked on the vocal file and it went to the armed track. There is notation on the track about the media being formatted or something (I don't have it in front of me now). I believe that the file imported is MP3. This must mean that the file that I imported is "post-render." Correct? What are the limitations regarding manipulation of this track? Is the pre-rendered file in the Reaper media folder, under a different name? Thanks.

If you're using Windows you can hit the Windows Key, then type the filename (no Return) to see where it may pop up. Now click on it and see where it goes. Once there, be sure to check the path at the top so you'll know where you're at.

For MAC OS :

Press Command-Space to open Spotlight.

Enter the name of the file you are looking for.

The results appear in the list below.

Hold down the Command key to view the path directory. Click a file while holding down Command to open Finder at that file's location.

When you record a track, Reaper saves it to a default location (or a nominated location) with a file name that is configured in the preferences somewhere.

It is that vocal file that you want to retrieve and insert, and that can be tricky if you don't know the file name.

One way of doing it is this:

1 Open the project you are working on.

2 Go to File/New Project Tab

3 In the new project tab, open your old project with the vocal track

4 Copy the vocal track

5 Go back to your working project and paste the vocal track into it.

Another way is to open the old project, copy the vocal track, close the old project, open the new one, and paste the vocal track.

Back