How do you send and return effects in Reaper?

D_Vincent

Instead of adding effects to each track I was wodering is there a way to share effects via send and return in reaper.

Im new to the whole send and return thing so i was also wondering should i put the effects on the master bus.

Thanks for any help.

i asked this over at Reaper forum as well however this site seems quicker with the answers.

There are a couple of ways of doing it.

Option A

Add a new track. Load an efect into this track (say reverb). Make sure it is set to maximum 'wet'. Label this track as "reverb".

On your recorded tracks, click on the "IO" button on the track header. Click on "add a new send". Click on the down arrow and find the newly labelled reverb track. Set the slider for the amount of reverb you want to send.

Option B

Add a new track to be the 'group master' track. Add reverb and other FX that you want to apply to a number of other tracks. Position these under the newly created track.

Click on the 'folder' icon on the group master track. All the tracks underneath will be inset, and now feed their outputs through this.

I find Option A useful for adding an effect in varying amounts to a number of tracks.

Option B is useful for adding the same FX to a number of tracks (for exampe, a number of lead vocal tracks could sit in a sub-group, and each goes through the group master with the same FX. This saves adding the same FX to every take.

Honestly, for me, the fact you can pretty much route anything into anything is really the selling point for Reaper. :)

Back