how to do effects on items?

You can change an audio item's volume by clicking and dragging down from the top of the item. Individual item panning? Wouldn't that just get overridden by track panning anyway? I've never seen it, maybe it exists.

If you click and select an item, press F2 (in Windows, dunno about Mac) to see item properties - maybe you'll find everything you want in there.

1 way, Press F2>Take envelopes>Pan envelope, adjust on item, but as stated earlier, still affected by the Track panning! :)

As the others have pretty much said:

For level, create a volume envelope, and some envelope points and adjust to tatste. Or just click on the item and drag down from the top.

For panning, create an envelope for pan, and likewise adjust accordingly.

Alternatively, drag the item onto a new track and do what you like with it there.

Last edited:
Depending on what you're doing, you could also create a PreFX Volume and/or Pan envelope for the track itself. This comes after all the take and item settings, but before the FX chain.

The different places to adjust these things aren't really "overridden" as you move up the chain, but of course they are affected. If you have a mono take, and pan it halfway left at that level, and then put the track pan at center, it's not going to override to center. It'll still come out halfway left. If you adjust the track pan halfway right, it'll now come out centered, but the level will be different from if it was centered all the way through dependent on you pan laws. Volume is pretty straightforward. If you reduce the take 6db and leave the track fader at unity, it comes out 6db down.

How do I do adjustments such as level, L/R panning on an individual item, NOT on the whole track?

What do you mean by individual item? Like, do you have a guitar and piano playing on the same track and you want to do different things to them? Or is 'individual item' a term exclusive to Reaper?

I do most this most of the time. I just find it way easier and faster to duplicate a track, get rid of whatever you don't want on each copy, and then do whatever you want to each track. I never automate effects, for example. If I want a long delay on just one word at the end of a line, for example, I just put that word on its' own track and put a long delay on that track.

Yeah, I do that a lot.. but I also do plenty of fx changes that are continuous and not discrete.. stuff like reverb creeping up slowly on a vocal to give the impression of the singer getting farther away.

In REAPER, an "Item" is a piece of audio. You have your waveform, which is one big item, unless you cut it into smaller parts, in which case it is now a bunch of smaller items.

Okay cool. From a non-Reaper user, it came across as him wanting to separate out two instruments from the same audio.

Some DAWs use the term "clip", some use "block".

Don't forget, Reaper has "folders" which might be helpful, like if you want to change the effects on the first track and you want the duplicate with the panned part to also reflect that change.

Thanks to all for your help. Actually the way I did it is to put all the items I wanted panned left on one track, which I panned left, and all the items I wanted panned right on another track, which I panned right. Reaper is really good, and I'm only just beginning to learn all it can do.

I just find it way easier and faster to duplicate a track, get rid of whatever you don't want on each copy, and then do whatever you want to each track. I never automate effects, for example. If I want a long delay on just one word at the end of a line, for example, I just put that word on its' own track and put a long delay on that track.

I used to copy/duplicate tracks/items to use effects on them when I first started (back about 2009 when I used Cubase LE4), but I eventually switched over to using automation/envelopes for my effects, & sends...I just personally like doing it this way myself, especially the sends (which are usually reverbs that I send lots of tracks to), because there are usually a lot of tracks, & they usually all have different fx/send levels, along with different panning on the sends...

I guess it's a long as it is broad (because either using envelopes or duplicated tracks you're gonna have about the same thing), but I find I have more control over the effects by automating them, but, that's just me, everybody has different ways of doing things...

Back