Had to Render to .mp3 before I knew how

spantini

COO of me, inc.
Before I made it to Render in the manual or videos, I had to make an mp3 yesterday. The file was created fine - no problem with that, but the way I discovered to do it put it in the Reaper folder.. as a file only which, of course, wasn't playable by simply clicking. I just added the file as an attachment in an email and that created a clickable icon which I dragged into my Music folder.

I had more time to mess around in the Render window tonight and figured out how to do it all in one operation. I changed the Render To: path from Reaper's folder to my Music folder. That plopped a nice little click-to-play icon in the folder.

I just DL'd Reaper several days ago and this version came with LAME pre-installed, so that was one less worry.

Don't fear the Reaper

:D
I'm not sure either.

If I explain what I said, it'll just get worse.

I needed an .mp3 file of a Reaper project so I could send to a friend. I didn't know how to save my project as an .mp3, so I found the menu with Render in it and rendered the project. That got me the .mp3 song file I could email as an attachment. I better stop here.. :p

So Reaper actually comes with LAME now? That's surprising. I've always had to download LAME separately. I always figured it was some sort of licensing thing for Cockos. Good to know that it's included in the Reaper install package now.

I don't remember the details, but the folks who made Lame changed something in the liscencing of at least one version just this past year sometime, so yeah Reaper comes with it nowadays.

I've never actually rendered to MP3 directly from Reaper. Don't know for sure why, but I'm just in the habit of rendering to 16 bit wav. Then I just right click it in windows explorer >convert audio format and some utility connected to WMP takes care of it for me. That's an ancient install of XP, though.

Draws work like anything else in Windows. When you save a file, you have to tell the program where to save it to.

The whole "clickable icon" thing is because of your operating system settings for the folders involved.

Back