Had to change buffer settings

I use a regular spinning disc for my OS and for archives/backups and the SSD just for projects that I'm currently working. You only really need that speed when you're streaming a bunch of audio to and from the disc at once. I mean, sure it's nice when the machine boots up before you can blink, but that's not really what we're here for. Get like a 256G SSD for current projects and like a 3T external to dump things on when you're done with them. They should cost about the same.

But then that machine is kind of slow just generally. Especially if it's just a single core 2.2GHz, that's a bit less than I'd want to live with. Probably time to start looking at a new(er) machine. Luckily, it'll be pretty easy to move the data drives to a new machine, so you could try that now, see if you can limp it along a while, and save up for a while to upgrade the whole system.

Not going to argue the quality thing with different sample rates, but both CPU and disc usage will go down to less than half when dropping from 96K to 44.1, so you should be able to use significantly lower buffer settings at the lower rate.

BTW - Reaper's performance monitor tells you the usage rates of CPU, RAM, and disc. You shouldn't have to guess which one is the bottleneck. Just crank it up and watch which one is maxing out.

Back