Guide to use Android phone as wireless midi controller

Treskalle

Hello.

Today I found out I could use my cellphone (smartphone) as a midi controller, since my wallet can't afford a real midi controller I would give this a shot. I think I spent around 7-8 hours (I'm not the fastest person) today just figuring how to do this. After several apps for my Android and software for my computer I got it work, with Reaper. Those hours were hours of frustration btw!

I tried searching here on the forum, but without any luck. So I publish this as a guide for people that wanna try something new or use their smartphone as midi controller. I don't know excactly what the specs for the phone are, but my phone is Samsung Galaxy S I9000 with Android 2.3. For reference.

On my phone now I can use transport with rec arm for track 1-12, I can solo/Mute them as well. I can stop, play and rec. I can fade balance, volume on track 1-12, I can bypass FX on tracks 1-12, fade master and track 1-12. You can basicly have over 100 different commands! Use your imagination!:)

What you need:
-Android smartphone
-Windows PC
-Internet
-Router or network connection from pc to phone
-Reaper

Here's the guide:
1. Connect the pc through a wireless router.
2. Connect the smartphone to the same network as the wireless router.
(These steps might be done in different ways, but it should be on the same net.)

3. Download Wireless Mixer to your Android from the Market - Wireless Mixer @ Market

4. Download LoopMidi here. and install it on your computer.

5. Download DSMi for Windows here. and install it on your computer.

6. This is optional, but people usually say this "Reboot your computer". I didn't do this, and I got it work.

7. Open LoopMidi, you would get an empty box with a + and a - sign on the bottom. The namebox is what you wanna call the midi ports (I don't really understand all this parts yet), you should make at least two ports. Call one for "unused" or something.

8. Open DSMi, you should mark the "unused" port as input and output. (Don't close any of the programs!)

9. Go to windows firewall and make exceptions for LoopMidi and DSMi.

10. Open Reaper. Go to Options- Preferences- Audio- Midi Devices. If you've done this correct it should be two inputs and two outputs. Just mark the input you made in LoopMidi and right click - click "Enable input" and click "Enable input for control messages".

11. Open Wireless Mixer on your smartphone.

12. Here is the customizing part. If youre familiar with creating macros and custom shortcuts in Reaper you can skip this step, and youre done. In Reaper, on the toolbar you should click "Actions" - "Show action list..". Here you will see a list of commands or actions. If you take for instance "Transport : Play" mark this. Then under the box "Shortcuts for selected action" you click add. Then it is only click play sign on the wireless mixer on your phone and it should pop up a code in the "Shortcut:" box and then you can click ok. There you go. For stop you do the same. Here you should set up a shortcut system that you understand and like. Faders should be marked as "Soft takeover".

Hope this helped someone and that it is understandable. If someone need help or want pictures, don't hesitate! I should try to help as good and fast as I can! :guitar:

-Steff

I use it for faders, pot and transport. But I haven't noticed.. It might be noticeable when you write control the faders in a mix.

It responds nicely and I think it's a great option, since it's free. Might be a bit inaccurate on the values on faders and pots, so it isn't the best you can get;)

I tried using TouchDAW from the market for the same purpose but couldn't get it to work. It looks great but since it wouldn't work, I got rid of it. I'll try the method you listed here. Thanks!

EDIT: I downloaded WirelessMixer and tried to set it up but I think I've got some config problems on my end. Mysteriously though, TouchDAW started working for me. It's definitely very handy! MIDI keyboard, as well as transport, mixer and some other controls. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot. I'd like to know which program you prefer.

Last edited:
I tried using TouchDAW from the market for the same purpose but couldn't get it to work. It looks great but since it wouldn't work, I got rid of it. I'll try the method you listed here. Thanks!

EDIT: I downloaded WirelessMixer and tried to set it up but I think I've got some config problems on my end. Mysteriously though, TouchDAW started working for me. It's definitely very handy! MIDI keyboard, as well as transport, mixer and some other controls. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot. I'd like to know which program you prefer.

I tried that one first, but I didn't get it working.. Maybe now, when I understand a bit more!:) It's cool we can share different software as well:)

Man I need to use this to trigger my record button in Cubase - I will give it a shot later... still got to finish this damn floor :p

Man I need to use this to trigger my record button in Cubase - I will give it a shot later... still got to finish this damn floor :p
Nice! I think that will work. Have you tried yet?

I tried it and couldn't get it to work.
That's not good. Where in the process are you? I'll try my best to check it out. But for the moment my band finally have some few concerts and we're practicing all week. And not much time to spend here :\

Btw, when I finally get the time. I will try out different apps on Android, different DAWs and maybe some other ways to transmitt data from the Android to the daw. Other then that. Any wishes/thoughts you want to share? Go ahead! Let's try make this a complete guide thread as possible!? :)

Last edited:
Not that I have a smartphone or a need to do this, but isn't there some latency involved?

There is latency but its pretty irrelevant, as this is simply a wireless controller, for the most part. TouchDAW has a MIDI keyboard and in that case, latency is a little more of a problem but I don't really use it myself.

A wireless controller (WiFi, Bluetooth) comes in most handy for me when used in tandem with a set of wireless headphones when setting up mics in a live situation. Most especially when I'm both recording AND playing. This way, I can position the mics, hear what they sound like, soundcheck and then do the gig with as few trips back and forth to the audio station as possible.

Btw, when I finally get the time. I will try out different apps on Android, different DAWs and maybe some other ways to transmitt data from the Android to the daw. Other then that. Any wishes/thoughts you want to share? Go ahead! Let's try make this a complete guide thread as possible!? :)

Have you tried any multitrack apps yet? I've got one called 4tracks and its a great songwriting tool. The free version only has the most basic functions (no pan, effects or import) but allows you to bounce your tracks down in wav format.

Thanks for all the tips;) I don't know what's going on (on the homefront), from 7 am to 10 pm everythings goes non-stop. I got Røde k2 and Akg D112 mic yesterday, and I haven't tried it yet. There's no room for it!): I have so much to do, and most of the things isn't really important.. But my band (Svineinfluensa) is about to break trough... At least it feels so and we got played on the radio in 2 days ago, we played two gigs the last 2 weeks and got to play in the global Battle of the bands (John Dee(one of Norways best and biggest scenes) the 5th of February) as well.. Our debut album will be recorded to the spring and .. Yes.. So a lot of times go to that, and this.. Not that it's that interesting.. Finally I had 5 minutes to check out the HR forum and I just waste the time on writing how much time I wish I could spend here.. and yes.. That's it! Hopefully I'll get some time to the weekend/next week!:) Seeya!

Thank you for the tips Treskalle it helped me get this app running with REAPER. I was wondering if you have had any success getting REAPER to control the program so that when a fader is moved in REAPER it moves with the program? Thanks.

I don't think it would be impossible. I wish I had more time, I'm trying to understand Java as well as MIDI along with school, band and studio.. I simply doesn't have any time ):

i know this thread is old but incase anyone who has used this, still remembers how to set this up.....

anyways im having trouble connecting my android device to dsmidi (i think that's the problem)
i think that's the problem the other dude was having too...
anyone able to help?

I set this up with Reaper today on my Galaxy Tab just for the transport controls. It was really easy to set up and get going.

I used midiyoke (MIDIOX) rather than loopmidi as recommended in the wireless mixer set up guide. I'll probably never use the fader/balance/mute/solo controls but I set them up anyway. They may come in handy. Play/stop/Record will definitely be useful to me while tracking.

*EDIT* I didn't realise this was such an old thread! :facepalm:

For the archives here, it's Jan 2, 2016 now. Anyone trying to remotely control their computer, there are more options ...

I also had downloaded TouchDAW, but wasn't sure how to use it, I didn't try too hard though.

Without needing any internet connection, just use awireless keyboard. It can be used anywhere within the recording room. And even if you need to use a wireless keyboard in another room, you can use a USB extension cable for your wireless receiver to the room you need to use your keyboard.

Another total remote control option, is an app called TeamViewer. You'll need an internet connection for this. It allows you to remotely control any computer from it's location, from any other physical location you're currently at via the internet. You open up a window on your computers desktop from your current physical location, and you'll be able to view the desktop from where ever the location is of the other computer at home/office etc.
For a DAW there would most definitely be latency, but you'll certainly be able to operate anything everything within it. I don't use TeamViewer for my DAW, but use it to view my video surveillance camera system from afar, while away, on vacation etc. My camera system is hooked up at home to my internet router, as is a computer. I set up TeamViewer on that, and when I'm another physical location I can set up TeamView from say, my laptop or my smartphone. From here I can see the desktop of my home computer, and see all my 10 camera views. I can also operate that home computer as if I were sitting at it, retrieve files etc, etc.

Back