Free Reaper Download

way95

The free Reaper demo that can be downloaded from their site does not have the full capabilities of the paid version, does it? Why not? I wish I could get a 30-day trial of the full version so as to see wether I like it or not.

Last time i checked they made a point of explaining that the there is only one version of reaper.
There is no separate demo or trial; It's the same installer.

Perhaps something has changed since then, but it couldn't be too hard to find out.

The free Reaper demo that can be downloaded from their site does not have the full capabilities of the paid version, does it? Why not? I wish I could get a 30-day trial of the full version so as to see wether I like it or not.

You obviously did not even read the license/purchase page:

No Risk
The evaluation version of REAPER is complete and uncrippled. There are no artificial interruptions or restrictions, and you can save and load projects normally. We believe in giving you a fair chance to make sure that REAPER works correctly with your hardware and suits your workflow.
The REAPER installer simply copies REAPER and its support files to disk. It does not install anything except itself.

If after 30 days you decide that REAPER is not for you, simply delete it.

If you decide that REAPER is for you, you must purchase a license.

Download it and try it. It is 100% legit. I did and paid the $40 within 10 days. If it were $100 I would have paid it!

If this was true, which it isn't last I checked, wouldn't you be better asking the people at Reaper...

Thanks,

I may have to take a closer look at it, but what I saw when I was exploring around the program wasn't as userfreindly as Cubase and I didn't find much if any editing options that Cubase LE5 doesn't have already.

Like many other things, user-friendliness is in the eyes of the beholder. If an application does things in a way that matches how a user likes to do things, then it is friendly. But not all users set about doing things exactly the same way . . . it depends on how your brain is wired.

I was a Logic user for many years, and was dragged screaming and kicking into Reaper because I needed to use it to be able to work on a collaborative recording project.

It took me a while to get used to how Reaper works, but when I did I was hooked and now don't use anything else.

You said you could find "editing options that Cubase LE5 doesn't have already". I thought this as well, when I first started using Reaper. It didn't take me long to realise that it's editing capability was extremely powerful . . . it just wasn't presented as a separate window.

I guess I'm just a little too bent towards Pro Tools 10 already. I know most of you would say that it isn't worth the money, but it just so happens that I would qualify for the Academic Edition so it would only cost $285. It's still more than Reaper, but having read a lot of reviews and watched alot of tutorials there's is no question which is better. The downside is that Protools doesn't run on Windows XP as Reaper would so I am still interested in checking it out before I spend $$$ to update my computer to Windows 7.

there's is no question which is better.

On the contrary. There is definitely a question about which is better.

Most DAWs do pretty much the same thing, and can all deliver pretty good results. Some have more features than others, some do things in different ways, and some cost more than others. In the end, the one that will get the best results for you will be the one that operates in a way that is most aligned with how you prefer to work.

the program wasn't as userfreindly

Weird. I demo'd about 5-6 daw's before i settled finally on reaper. It was the single most user friendly DAW in my lineup.

But like Gek said it is in the eye of the beholder i guess.

I switched from super old protools (5 I think) to reaper and found it to be a little difficult to learn at first. After a couple sessions I was pretty set. But I was never a power user, just some basics. I could see how PT to reaper could be difficult for someone who is good with PT.

Well I'm a former Cubase user. I never did really love Cubase, but LE came free with my interface, so I used it. The I bought Essential 4 and used it for probably 2 years. Tried Reaper and it took me probably 5 or 6 hours to get used to Reaper. I haven't even opened Cubase since I downloaded Reaper. I especially like it since I found a theme that fits me.

Back