Easier to use but seems more trouble prone

boss281

I am really trying to like Reaper, I am. The problem is, it's not behaving the same day to day. Yesterday, it was all sorts of wonky with my GT3 Waves Audio guitar plugins (still wonky). I just tried recording from a mic'd amp into an existing project, and it worked fine. Started a new project, and now the recorded signal, while showing up as MORE than adequate as indicated by the input meter, is simply a straight line in the track with no wave form. WHAT.THE.HELL????

Perhaps I have to "normalize the track", usually seen as Normalize under track menus in other programs, but I can't seem to find it.

That said too, isn't there supposed to be context sensitive help? Everytime I select the help function it takes me to my browser to download the file again.

This product is not sitting well...

EDIT: I found that rebooting the system seems to help with the recording volume. I didn't change a thing except a reboot, and it recording 3 new tracks at more than acceptable volume. I think the plugins are a problem, and I've deleted the Wave Audio GTR product demo for now. I've left Guitar Rig 5 up and will continue to experiment with that.

Last edited:
Right click on the red record arm button on the track. A list of routing options will come up. Select "record input" and "input mono" (if you are recording a single mic). Under "input mono," there should be a list of available inputs. Choose the one corresponding to the input on your audio interface where the mic is connected.

If you are monitoring directly back from your audio interface, then try unselecting "monitor input." This will reduce latency in the monitored signal, if any. If you want to hear the signal with any software plugins that you might be running, then you will need to select "monitor input."

To normalize a track, right click on the track and select track properties. There is an option there to normalize.

However, if you are getting a straight line, it is likely you didn't record anything. Checked that you have the correct input selected, and that the mike is connected to the correct input, and that the gain for the corredct input is set appropriately.

What exactly happens when you normalize a track?
Technically, you'd be normalizing the items. If you select one item, Reaper scans it to figure out the highest peak, and then changes the Item Volume property (you can see it in that same window) so that peak hits 0dbFS. If you select multiple items, you can actually choose to normalize so that each one has highest peak at 0, or with "common gain" where it finds the one highest peak out of all of the items and applies the same amount of gain to all of them so that one peak hits 0.

I never had any luck with any of the free Waves plugins. IF everything is working alright without them, then ...

Back