Doubled up midi notes

gecko zzed

Grumpy Mod
This is not so much a question, but more a tale of two notes . . . well, lots of notes, actually.

I have an Evolution keyboard that I use for most of my midi stuff. It gets its power and sends midi output to PC via USB. It also has a DIN midi output.

The USB connection to the keyboard has become unpredictable. While it continues to supply CD ok, it sometimes won't transmit midi data. This is no big deal; I just hook up a DIN midi cable from Evolution to the Firepod and no problems.

While most of the time I use midi to drive VSTi, this time I wanted to use the sound of the Technics piano. I had earlier recorded midi from the Evolution, so I set the midi output of the track to the Firepod, then connected Firepod midi out to Technics midi in. Reaper played the midi file, and I recorded the audio from the the Technics.

On playing the audio back, I noticed that it sounded a bit strange. There was a vague phasey kind of sound. I also had a vague memory of that type of sound, and that directed me to the midi I had recorded for this track. On examining it closely, I notice that every note had a double. One note appeared as a regular kind of note you would normally expect to see, whereas the double appear as an almost invisible hairline on the screen.

The explanation for this doubling up of notes was immediately obvious. In the process of recording the midi, the Evolution decide that its USB midi output was going to work properly for a change, so Reaper was recording simultaneously the midi via USB and via Firepod. The Technics, in trying to play two notes as once, generated the phasey kind of sound that I had noticed.

Avoiding this happening is very simple. When setting up a track to record midi in Reaper, all I had to do was select Input: Midi, then Firepod Midi in. I didn't do this, because, being a creature of habit, I had automatically selected Input: Midi, then All Midi inputs, then All Midi channels. That's what I had become accustomed to doing.

Fixing it was less than simple. There is a command to remove duplicate notes. But though my double notes behaved like duplicates, they were actually sequential a tiny little note followed straightaway by a normal note. What would have been neat would have been a command to select and delete all notes of hardly any duration. Reaper has pages full of midi commands, but not that (that I could see).

There was a painful way of getting rid of the tiny notes: shift the normal note up a semitone, then do a marquee round the offending tiny note, then delete. A slightly less painful way, and what I ended up doing, was to use the J command to join up the tiny and big notes; draw a marquee around big and little and hit J). I couldn't figure out a better way, though I'm sure there is one.

This shows the midi and what the duplicated notes look like:
midi-1.jpg

Here I've shifted a couple of notes up a semitone to reveal the tiny intruders:
midi-2.jpg

If anyone can figure out an easy way of getting rid of notes like this, I would be grateful. However, the moral of the story is not to let it happen in the first place.

Once you realised why it happened and how to stop it in the future, surely the quickest way to fix it would be to re-track the part? That's what I would do anyway, depending on the length of the part, how many notes are played/effected by it, etc. If it was a bit of a fill for 30 seconds or so it might be worth just doing what you're doing and deleting the offending notes but if it's the whole track. Delete the lot and start again.

:thumbs up:

Retracking is an obvious and quick fix . . . normally. But . . . my keyboard skills are not that great and it was a particularly challenging piece that took me a long time to nail. Re-tracking was a most daunting option.

Can you not highlight the longer notes (the ones you want to keep) by grabbing them at the end of their duration, and then hitting "Cut"? Then, when all that's left on your screen are the little gremlins, select them all and delete them. Then, hit "Paste" and all your long notes go back to right where they were?

You might have to do it in sections. Like, grab as many as you can with one mouse stroke, without grabbing the little ones, "Cut", delete the small ones, and then "Paste". Move on to the next goup and do it again.

Hard to explain. I hope it makes sense.

Last edited:
I never thought of that. I just assumed that if you played it once it would be no bother to re-track it.

You could try holding down CTRL and clicking all the notes you want from the piece (It will miss out the little ones) and then Cut/Copy them all out. Select all the little ones and delete and then Paste the ones you want to keep back in or better still, Paste them into another midi roll to be one the safe side.

It might take a couple of minutes to click all the notes for the piece but would be a lot quicker than deleting all the individual bits.

Test it one a small portion first to make sure that it will work and if so, then go for it all. That way you don't have a lot to UNDO. Save a copy first too so you have a back up.

Hope that helps. :thumbs up:

Just curious, were you overdubbing the midi shown gecko??? (by right-clicking the record-arm button, & selecting: "overdub midi")???

I've actually had this problem in the last couple/few days myself (all those little gremlin notes)...

Of course, I'm not a keyboard player by a long shot, so the midi editor is beyond great for me, but I agree those little notes are hard to get rid of, so these are some pretty cool tips/tricks for someone like myself...

Just curious, were you overdubbing the midi shown gecko??? (by right-clicking the record-arm button, & selecting: "overdub midi")???

I've actually had this problem in the last couple/few days myself (all those little gremlin notes)...

Of course, I'm not a keyboard player by a long shot, so the midi editor is beyond great for me, but I agree those little notes are hard to get rid of, so these are some pretty cool tips/tricks for someone like myself...

No, I wasn't overdubbing. I was just recording the same midi from two sources: USB and DIN. As soon as I figured out what was happening, I took out DIN cable, and was therefgore just recording midi via USB, and the problem vanished.

I knew to look at the midi because I recognised that phasey sound. When I was running Logic, I would copy and paste midi notes, but somehow seemed to quite often paste notes over themselves, which has the same effect. I don't seem to do that so much in Reaper.

There was a painful way of getting rid of the tiny notes: shift the normal note up a semitone, then do a marquee round the offending tiny note, then delete.
What is a "marquee"?
What I normally do when I find these phantom notes is enlarge the view, horizontally until the note is large enough to highlight and delete. Very cumbersome!

Back