cutting part of a track

Atkron205

I am trying to figure how to trim or cut a portion of a track. I have searched the manual and cannot figure it out. example: on a guitar track, I want to remove from 1:00 to 1:25, I do not want to fill the gap with anything, just delete it. I know I can do it with automation by pulling the fader down, but want to edit the track to remove the unwanted portion. when I right click in the track and select an area, it selects the area for all of the tracks. I am stumped. :cursing:

select the track by clicking on it at 1.00.

Hit 's' ( for split).

Move your mouse to just on the right side of the split so that you see a two-way arrow.

Click and drag to 1:25.

Alternatively, after you have split the track at 1.00, got 1:25, hit 's' again. Then click on the bit between 1:00 and 1:25, then hit 'delete'.

select the track by clicking on it at 1.00.

Hit 's' ( for split).

Move your mouse to just on the right side of the split so that you see a two-way arrow.

Click and drag to 1:25.

Alternatively, after you have split the track at 1.00, got 1:25, hit 's' again. Then click on the bit between 1:00 and 1:25, then hit 'delete'.

I knew it was easy! Thanks a ton.:D

Here's one hint: When splitting a file containing audio, it's a good idea to use "split at prior zero crossing." That avoids a pop that can happen when you split a wave in the middle. For MIDI files, it doesn't matter.

The only time I use "split at cursor" on an audio file is if I need the split to happen at an exact point, for example when I want the clip to line up exactly on a beat or measure.

Here's one hint: When splitting a file containing audio, it's a good idea to use "split at prior zero crossing." That avoids a pop that can happen when you split a wave in the middle. For MIDI files, it doesn't matter.

The only time I use "split at cursor" on an audio file is if I need the split to happen at an exact point, for example when I want the clip to line up exactly on a beat or measure.

Reaper knows that people who split files don't want to hear a pop, so its default is to find a non-poppy place. Somewhere in its preferences you can change it.

But the idea of not splitting exactly at a beat or measure is sound, because usually music does not start or finsih at that point. A note may want to carry on past (or vene stop before) a splt, and at the other send, the same; a note may start before or after the bar. Splitting for musicality is the way to go.

Reaper automatically puts a tiny fade out/fade in around the split. I always wondered why, but it must be to prevent this scenario from happening. Those clever Cockos guys...

Reaper automatically puts a tiny fade out/fade in around the split. I always wondered why, but it must be to prevent this scenario from happening. Those clever Cockos guys...

That default drove me INSANE before I figured out how to turn it off! :D

Just throwing some love out for this split feature. I am a split-a-holic and a have never changed any preferences and never had any clicks or pops in anything that i have done. That i have heard anyways. Should just be able to split it and go.

Thats what she said.

EDIT: also i am not sure what you guys do but also rather than using the fades, mostimes is will just glue the split up pieces together to produce a long chunk of silence. This might be why i haven't ever experienced the pops and clicks of splitting? Maybe?

Back