Crazy media copy-and-paste!

YanKleber

Retired
OK, it really pisses me off since I started using Reaper.

:mad:

Suppose I sliced a piece of a media and want to repeat that specific chunk along the track. OK, good old copy-and-paste, right? The problem is that Reaper always throws the copied chunk in unpredictable places (usually after the end of the song, but it's not a rule). Some times it still does something worse: instead to paste the copied chunk in the original size I cut it, the new copy comes 'collapsed' in one or both sides.

So, beside to need to keep looking for where the hell my pasted media ended, I still have to drag it back-and-forth to re-position in the proper place and expand the edges to bring it back to the original size. The more problematic is that when it collapses to a smaller size normally the automation is lost.

:cursing:

The ideal scenario would be that it pasted it in the active (selected) track, in the exact size and starting where my cursor (playing head) is.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

:(

It pastes it where you have last clicked in the track or timeline, not where the play cursor is - same as when you click 'play' it will start again from that same place.
If you want it to paste INTO a particular track at a particular place, then you need to click there first.

Also, when working with items where you've adjusted the beginning or ending, try selecting the item, right-clicking and select "Glue items". Then copy the glued item and paste it. It should then retain the proper size if you've trimmed or expanded the original item. I do this with looping items a lot. It drove me crazy when I'd click+drag to adjust an item to exactly 4 bars, then try dragging the end of the item to loop it, and the loop would still include the pieces that I'd already trimmed off. Gluing the item was the fix for that.

Yay, two excellent tips! I never will get mad with Reaper about this again!

Thank you very much, my friends!

:listeningmusic:

I never use the copy and paste commands. Hold down Ctrl while dragging the item and it will make a copy exactly like what you've got there and you can put it wherever you want. Drag it to another spot in the same track, to another track, whatever. Ctrl+drag is kind of standard Windows "Copy and reposition" and works with about everything in Reaper.

I never use the copy and paste commands. Hold down Ctrl while dragging the item and it will make a copy exactly like what you've got there and you can put it wherever you want. Drag it to another spot in the same track, to another track, whatever. Ctrl+drag is kind of standard Windows "Copy and reposition" and works with about everything in Reaper.

Cool, Ash, this is either a very useful tip! Noted on my Reaper notepad already! :)

Back