Converting files

ecc83

I am not a Reaper user but bought it.

Today I needed to hear an M4A file. Nothing I had would open it. Audaicty? Not without some downloading fiddlefaddle. AA1.5? Too old I guess. The mighty $1000 Sanplitude Pro X 3? Bugger me no!

Reaper does it. I then wanted to "Export as .wav" Cannot do! At least this numpty could not find an audio export function.

Eventually found that you have to 'Render' the file and piss about in a complicated box. Now, maybe it is because I have used Samplitude variants for 10 years but exporting and converting files in Sam seems FAR easier?

If anyone want to try, Pro X is available as a fully formed 30 day trial.

Dave.

Yes, you need to use the 'Render' feature, and there are lots of options to choose from. Reaper is not a 'one trick pony'!

Yea Dave, I think you are looking at it wrong. Main purpose to bring in a file would be as a track, then render it. Reaper isn't intended to be a utility like the way you are trying to use it.

You can convert m4a to MP3 in iTunes.

On my Mac (OS X) [edit: in Audacity] I can use File->Import to open m4a files and export in any format I want. (Drag and drop doesn't work for some reason.)

Last edited:
Yea Dave, I think you are looking at it wrong. Main purpose to bring in a file would be as a track, then render it. Reaper isn't intended to be a utility like the way you are trying to use it.

Well I DON'T use it! (why am I getting stick here?) It was just the only DAW I had that would open the file. I could have run it in VLC and recorded the result internally but I was impatient. Hang me!

I have the greatest respect for Reaper. It is a very cost effective, very powerful but nonetheless efficient DAW and I recommend it all the time. I think the fact that I am not a moocher and paid for it speaks volumes?

Oh, and I keep all things Apple well away from all my wonderful Windows machines!

Dave.

Well I DON'T use it! (why am I getting stick here?) It was just the only DAW I had that would open the file. I could have run it in VLC and recorded the result internally but I was impatient. Hang me!

I have the greatest respect for Reaper. It is a very cost effective, very powerful but nonetheless efficient DAW and I recommend it all the time. I think the fact that I am not a moocher and paid for it speaks volumes?

Oh, and I keep all things Apple well away from all my wonderful Windows machines!

Dave.

No man, you misunderstood the intent of my post. I was just merly pointing out a different perspective. No stick here big guy!

Eventually found that you have to 'Render' the file and piss about in a complicated box.

In Reaper, you only have to piss about once. Next time you do it, it should remember your pissing about, and all you need to do is change the file name.

However, the default setting should have been to render the project to a WAV.

Reaper is a powerful and flexible DAW, but that comes with a price, that price being complexity. There are many ways in which you may need to render a project, and Reaper is designed to accommodate them.

In Reaper, you only have to piss about once. Next time you do it, it should remember your pissing about, and all you need to do is change the file name.

However, the default setting should have been to render the project to a WAV.

Reaper is a powerful and flexible DAW, but that comes with a price, that price being complexity. There are many ways in which you may need to render a project, and Reaper is designed to accommodate them.

Ok! So I am a moany old git! I came to the "Reaperphile" section and criticized the software. What WAS I thinking!

Reaper is great software at a great price. Sorry!

Dave.

Ok! So I am a moany old git! I came to the "Reaperphile" section and criticized the software. What WAS I thinking!

Reaper is great software at a great price. Sorry!

Dave.

Hang your head and repent. Sackcloth and ashes for a week. As you sow, so shall ye Reaper.

Back