Convert from Tascam to Reaper - Dumb Question #1 More to follow:)

Mickster

I'm transitioning from a Tascam DP-24 to Reaper and....well.....pardon my dumb question.....can't find it in the manual........but how can I record tracks and have some effects mixed in to help a vocalist......but get only the dry recording? I understand how to add effects after the take. Some vocalists and guitar players like to have some effects to hear as they record. Again....sorry for the dumb question.....and thanks for your help.

When you arm the track for recording just insert reverb or ? On the TRACK FX select record the input NOT output,
And you have the dry signal on the track and the FX is only on the monitor!

If you have the plugin loaded on the track, it will sound but not "print" on the recording until you render it that way. Simply have it on while tracking, and turn it off prior to rendering.

Remember that if you are monitoring the FX-ed track rather than direct monitoring, there could be some latency in what the singer is hearing, so get your buffer settings as ideal as possible.

In regards to buffer rate, seems like 512 is tolerable, 256 is much better, but could create issues. As a quick FYI to the OP, the lower the buffer the less the latency but the more stress on IO. If your buffer setting is too low, you could get noise when you are monitoring or playing back (but not rendering). If you do get noise, try increasing your buffer. I would try with 512, then if you are getting good sound, lower it to improve your latency.

I have mine at 256 (not Reaper, but it applies to all DAWs) and the latency is more of a chorus effect (when monitoring my vocals with effects as I record). At 512, little more noticeable, but I can tolerate it still. More than that, I start to screw up the timings as if I need more help in this issue.

Back