Changing time signaures

Armistice

Son of Yoda
How do I change from 7/8 tp 6/8 then back to 7/8? (or similar...). I presume you can apply time signatures to particular passages (only) but the only time sig thing I see is down the bottom, which looks a bit "global"...

I'm sure it's there somewhere, I just don't want to waste time looking for it tonight when I get home... so asking in advance!

Cheers Reapettes....:D

In the timeline above the various track lanes is where tempo and time sig (really the same thing) go. There should be one at the very beginning of the project that agrees with the one in the transport area. You should be able to right click the timeline to insert such a marker, but I thik you can also just place the cursor where you want the change and type something into the thing on the transport and hit enter also. Sometimes that updates the last one instead for some reason. I think there's an option somewhere...

As ashcat_it says above, both ways will work. I prefer the Right Click method personally or at the position on the time line you want to change the time, press Shift + C.

time1.jpg

Once you've edited the time for the part you need the change, repeat and put in the original timing where you want the second change.

time.jpg

Sorted :thumbs up:

From what little I know of Reaper, the use of markers is pretty important.
:thumbs up:
They never go where I want them though - they don't snap to grid, and I have to drag them into place. What's annoying is when I've put markers into place, then change the tempo - the markers don't move with the measures - is there some setting I'm missing? I always have to go back, count # of measures and drag the markers into place again.

They never go where I want them though - they don't snap to grid, and I have to drag them into place. What's annoying is when I've put markers into place, then change the tempo - the markers don't move with the measures - is there some setting I'm missing? I always have to go back, count # of measures and drag the markers into place again.

Hi Mike, Check your 'snap settings', by right clicking on the Snap button in the top bar!

There are options in Project Settings. "Timebase for items/envelopes/markers" and "Timebase for tempo/time signature envelope". I think you want to set at least one of those to Beats instead of Time.

Hi Mike, Check your 'snap settings', by right clicking on the Snap button in the top bar!

No, it happens even when Snap is on, the marker will end up just to one side of the grid line - can't see it until I magnify the view.

There are options in Project Settings. "Timebase for items/envelopes/markers" and "Timebase for tempo/time signature envelope". I think you want to set at least one of those to Beats instead of Time.

That might be it - it's going to the first time division (seconds?) rather than the beats. Will investigate!

That might be it - it's going to the first time division (seconds?) rather than the beats. Will investigate!
I'm convinced that's the issue. It seems like there are different settings for tempo/time sig and other markers, but I can see times when it would be nice to be able to override this for individual markers (of any sort) like we can with items.

Pretty sure that's the issue. I had a hell of a time when I recorded a scratch track in 4/4, then went back and added time signature changes to match. Well it wanted to stretch the measures of the existing audio when the time sig changed. Drove me mad until I discovered the setting that you mentioned.

They never go where I want them though - they don't snap to grid, and I have to drag them into place.

I always use the keyboard shortcuts. that way I can turn on snap to grid, and my mouse clicks will snap the cursor to the grid. Then do the keyboard shortcut and the marker will go wherever your cursor is. I use 'M' to put marker notes in every project so I can tell where I am when I start layering tracks into it (Intro, Verse 1, Chorus 1, Solo, etc.).

I always use the keyboard shortcuts. that way I can turn on snap to grid, and my mouse clicks will snap the cursor to the grid.

^^^~Which is why I prefer the Shift+C for Time Measure Changes and just hitting M for Markers. Guaranteed to be in the correct place. Right Clicking the grid at the top, doesn't put the Marker or Time Change where the cue is on the grid. It puts it where you right click on the timeline. So if you're slightly off, the resulting time change/marker will be too.

I use more keyboard shortcuts in Reaper than actual mouse movement. :thumbs up:

OK - got it. Thankee gentlemen... :thumbs up:

I can't wait to set up my 7/8 into 5/4 into 13/8 dope beat dance track for the uncordinated..

^^^~Which is why I prefer the Shift+C for Time Measure Changes and just hitting M for Markers. Guaranteed to be in the correct place. Right Clicking the grid at the top, doesn't put the Marker or Time Change where the cue is on the grid. It puts it where you right click on the timeline. So if you're slightly off, the resulting time change/marker will be too.

I use more keyboard shortcuts in Reaper than actual mouse movement. :thumbs up:
Right click in the timeline snaps to the grid for me. When I was testing it, I found that if the project is playing, and you hit M (also Shift-M apparently), it will drop a marker at the current time (not snapped), but if you do Shift-C, it opens the dialog, and the position seems to want to be the wherever it started playing from. So to drop a Tempo/Time Signature marker, you do actually have to click to set the cursor where you want it, rather than just dropping them as it plays.

I think I've probably been dropping the markers in with the Snap-to-Grid off. I noticed that when I changed the 'Timebase for items/envelopes/markers' to time (from Beats) in one project, it was changed in the next project I opened - but it was on Beats already, where I wanted it, so I changed it back. Like Ashcat said, if you drop a marker using 'Shift-M', it'll put it wherever the time cursor is - I paused it between grid positions to check.

Just sayin'... I usually flatten the secondary beat gain so my click doesn't have an accent- it just falls on the quarter notes. Then, going from 5/8 to 4/4 to 7/8, 3/4, 6/8 etc not a problem if the tempo doesn't change.

I've only had to use the time/tempo markers in a few rare cases- slowdowns/speedups and outright tempo changes. Neither of which I do too often.

I suppose it depends what you're doing. Sometimes it's nice when the grid actually lines up to what you're trying to click into the piano roll. Sure, you can do it without in many cases, but why? Obviously, if you're playing everything live, it's a different story. The one song that I've ever recorded that changes time signatures (3/4 to 4/4) I did exactly what you said - flat click and play through it and everything's fine. Reaper didn't even need to know. In fact, it was probably running in 8/4 at double time cause that's my default.

Sure, you can do it without in many cases, but why?

You might want to, say, goes back and forth from 6/8 to 4/4 about 50 times, and maybe sometimes one part will be still going at 6/8 over the rest going 4/4, etc. You just wanna rip into it and not spend half a day setting up markers, but whatever. No right or wrong way....

Back