Changing playback speed without changing pitch.

VomitHatSteve

Hat STYLE. Not contents.
Is there a way in Reaper to change playback speed without changing pitch too?

Preferably one that can be applied live? (i.e. I'm listening to my mix and decide that it's too slow, so I adjust a slider and the speed changes while I'm listening?)

I asked a similar question about BPM on the Reaper forum. I suppose I should go back and see if it was answered. I doubt I could find it, though. It's a live chat, not a forum like this.

EDIT: someone gave me a different link than the one to the Reaper forum, which I just registered on. Weird... but now I am on there as Rokket, too. I am going to ask the BPM question there and see what I get. If I get a good response, I'll paste it here.

Last edited:
try this:

Set project properties Timebase for events to beats as showin in the pic

Then change the tempo to where you want it

10881391618-Project-Settings.png

Would that work for inported drums? I've noticed before that when I had things set like that, changing the BPM didn't do anything at all, but that was an older version of Reaper.
I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Hmmm... It didn't work for audio that's already been recorded, but that's ok. I'm working with dynamically created audio, and it almost worked there.

I'll mess around with my plugins code and see if that improves my results. Thanks, PA.

I poked around with it some more, and I think I've found most of what I was looking for:

If you right click on the toolbar with the play rate slider, there's a menu called "Play rate" with a "Preserve pitch in audio items when changing master play rate" option. If you select that, pitch won't change when you adjust the play rate.

At this point, the issue is entirely in my plugins (my pitch isn't changing, but my timing is getting out of synch). Since they're dependent on the "srate" and "tempo" variables (which do not seem to be affected by the slider), it looks like I need to mess with the tempo option to really get the results I'm looking for.

Is there a way to change the tempo without manually typing it in, such as a slider or something?

you can click on the "bpm" letters repeatedly with your mouse and that will get you in the ballpark of the tempo

I poked around with it some more, and I think I've found most of what I was looking for:

If you right click on the toolbar with the play rate slider, there's a menu called "Play rate" with a "Preserve pitch in audio items when changing master play rate" option. If you select that, pitch won't change when you adjust the play rate.

At this point, the issue is entirely in my plugins (my pitch isn't changing, but my timing is getting out of synch). Since they're dependent on the "srate" and "tempo" variables (which do not seem to be affected by the slider), it looks like I need to mess with the tempo option to really get the results I'm looking for.

Is there a way to change the tempo without manually typing it in, such as a slider or something?

Thanks for this!
Been using drum samples and decided I wanted a quicker tempo but just changing the tempo didn't do anything but this worked :)

Woah! Old thread! :D

You're welcome, I suppose. Honestly, my ultimate solution to this issue has just been to sequence things differently. (i.e. Do all the math ahead of time, so that I don't need to worry about tempo changes live.)

Back