B.C Blue Cat gain 3

jtourangeau

Trying to install a B.C. gain 3 vst to run in reaper.Not sure what I should down load. I tried vst3 they have Rtas, vst,vst3,AAX.Just wanted to use it to try to gain stage some tracks with it.Not sure if I need to down load something else.Dont think its in any reaper files.

VST3 is coming to Reaper soon...

I personally would drop in the JS volume plug that comes free with Reaper. It doesn't look as cute, but it does the job, and includes a brickwall limiter (well, clipper) to boot!

Just out of curiosity, what do you use a gain plug for? Is the volume/trim fader on each track not ample?

I like to keep my track gain faders at zero but use them for a convenient but temporary level adjustments or checks- like prior to then laying that change into gain automation for example. In Sonar the gain automation is limited to +6. So if a track has wider issues, then a gain plug is an option. On one live track for example I automated the gain on the Blue Cat. Really more often once this stiff's sorted out I'd much more likely just use the 'apply gain process though.

Course Reaper has Take Volume, Item Volume, and Track PreFX Volume, all of which are automatable and could be appropriate in most situations where a gain plug might be necessary.

Theres tons of of options that came with reaper.I just don't know what half of them do.I read an article that explained some gain stage tips and this is what they were using and I can afford it.Sold!!! I did get it to work just needed the vst .Then dropped it into my reaper effects folder and there it is....Works good...Thanks guys. I hope everyones happy I did this ,but probly not.

I like to keep my track gain faders at zero but use them for a convenient but temporary level adjustments or

I just recently watched a video series where this was how the guy did things. I found it kind of interesting and may try it out on my next mixing project.

I just recently watched a video series where this was how the guy did things. I found it kind of interesting and may try it out on my next mixing project.
Yeah. I knew a long time ago I should'a named that sucker. An declared it my 'Method'!

I suppose the ideal is to actually track in such a way that you can put the faders at unity and have most of the mix done. At a certain point, though, one wonders why we've even got the damn faders to begin with!

I personally find that there are plenty of places in the chain to adjust the overall level before it hits the fader. Any plugin with an input and/or output gain or level control can usually be pressed in the task, usually while it also does whatever else it does. I'm sure that thing has some nice features, but to my mind, multiplication should be free. Unless you're really looking for something other than straight gain - non-linearity or filtering - I can't think of a good reason to actually spend money.

I suppose the ideal is to actually track in such a way that you can put the faders at unity and have most of the mix done. At a certain point, though, one wonders why we've even got the damn faders to begin with!

I personally find that there are plenty of places in the chain to adjust the overall level before it hits the fader. Any plugin with an input and/or output gain or level control can usually be pressed in the task, usually while it also does whatever else it does. I'm sure that thing has some nice features, but to my mind, multiplication should be free. Unless you're really looking for something other than straight gain - non-linearity or filtering - I can't think of a good reason to actually spend money.

Exactly.

Additionally for me i find i am learning new plugins all the time so i really like the concept of leaving the faders at zero because it forces me to pay closer attention to the plug ins and make sure that they are doing what they are supposed to be doing and i won't be just bumping up the fader to increase volume to hear the track. Adding more of a crappy sound you know? Does that make sense?

Where in the past i would have said "Hmm this mandolin isn't full enough, better turn it up" i would end up just turning up the garbage as well as the good stuff.

Whereby in this concept it would seemingly force me to go into my EQ or comp and actually mix it so it sits properly. "Hmm this Mandolin isn't full enough i better go boost this freq and cut this one and add a bit more comp" Or whatever.

Maybe this is the way mixing is "supposed to be done" but i only just recently stumbled upon it.

I mean, like, learning man?! Like, Wow!

Exactly.

Additionally for me i find i am learning new plugins all the time so i really like the concept of leaving the faders at zero because it forces me to pay closer attention to the plug ins and make sure that they are doing what they are supposed to be doing and i won't be just bumping up the fader to increase volume to hear the track. Adding more of a crappy sound you know? Does that make sense?

Where in the past i would have said "Hmm this mandolin isn't full enough, better turn it up" i would end up just turning up the garbage as well as the good stuff.

Whereby in this concept it would seemingly force me to go into my EQ or comp and actually mix it so it sits properly. "Hmm this Mandolin isn't full enough i better go boost this freq and cut this one and add a bit more comp" Or whatever.

Maybe this is the way mixing is "supposed to be done" but i only just recently stumbled upon it.

I mean, like, learning man?! Like, Wow!
Man, some of this don't make sense.
First off are you guys confusing track faders with gain faders and/or trim plug we were talking about?
Most of this is just work flow preferences -don't really matter, not saying 'right or wrong for sure :) And to that; I like actually minimizing level adjustments tucked in all over the place, i.e. when and where they are redundant and worse not seen when the plugs aren’t opened up. (Ever get to where you made one adjustment earlier, now you’re doing others.. sometimes contrary elsewhere?
In track view (never use mixer view- maybe there’s one dif) I see fader position, and every level change (fader’ or gain’) and for that matter most every other setting that’s ‘moving through the mix i.e. eq, thresholds etc in the automation.. in one place.

Back