Audio won't play if VSTs are active

beezelbubba

Shitty Buddhist
I'm using the latest version (4.731)64bit on windows 7 (64 bit).
I just reformated/reloaded windows 2 weeks ago.Projects I did before the reloading of windows seem unaffected.Things I've been working on the past couple days have the following problem:
If a track has any vst plugins on them, the audio will not play The line moves along the timeline and the metronome will play if active.
If I go the the effects tab of a given track and uncheck all the plugins, the audio for that track will play.
Don't know if this is an issue w/ Reaper, or something wrong with the Windows install.
Any insights appreciated.

If the VST is making the track clip, it will shut it off. Could that be happening?

Nope, it's almost all freeware (such as the Kjaerhus classic series.)
Again, projects I going before the reload of windows, using the same plugins, are not affected.
I've found that if I open new project, remove all the plugins and reinsert them, they will work. That is, until I close the project and open it again. So weird!

Nope, it's almost all freeware (such as the Kjaerhus classic series.)
Again, projects I going before the reload of windows, using the same plugins, are not affected.
I've found that if I open new project, remove all the plugins and reinsert them, they will work. That is, until I close the project and open it again. So weird!

Try looking at your plug in path file. Re-enter it, maybe a path entry in preferences somehow is screwed up. I would even try renaming the plug in folder and then resetting it to make sure it is picking up the correct path setting.

That is strange behavior.

It's not a performance problem I assume? You're not surpassing your system's processing abilities and stuttering out?

Could be a sample rate issue? If you remember what your sample rate/bit depth/buffer size was on your older projects, set Reaper to request that same sample rate/bit depth in the settings. It may have just reverted back to a default setting when you reinstalled. And maybe the different sample rate isn't agreeing with your interface's settings/capabilities.

This problem doesn't occur if I'm only using REA plugins.
Most of the plugins I'm using are the Kjaerhus Classic series, but there are others. I tried unchecking all the classic plugs, but that didn't solve it.

I had this same problem once where some plugins did not pass audio, I messed around for days until my tech popped over for a pizza, he found it in seconds, it was to do with the audio driver, I did not have the ASIO driver selected in the software DOH!. When I re-installed windows it reverted to the default windows audio setting. I would investigate this in your setup.

Alan.

Back