Anybody Using Bluenoise?

EZWriter

Their beta drum kit looks interesting, but after downloading I can't find the dlls I need as it comes in something called a .RAR file. The designer is no help as he points you to his 'forum' which is pretty much inoperative and inoperable. I don't have a problem with all of that since I just want to play around with the program, but first I have to get it to work. Anyone out there successfully downloaded and used it? Any tips?

Their beta drum kit looks interesting, but after downloading I can't find the dlls I need as it comes in something called a .RAR file. The designer is no help as he points you to his 'forum' which is pretty much inoperative and inoperable. I don't have a problem with all of that since I just want to play around with the program, but first I have to get it to work. Anyone out there successfully downloaded and used it? Any tips?

A .RAR file is a type of compression file, like a .ZIP file. You can find a program to open a RAR file at download.com. Just search for RAR and you'll see WinRAR or something like that. It works fine.

Please don't post the same question in different forums. I will delete the other post.

Thanks.

A .RAR file is a type of compression file, like a .ZIP file. You can find a program to open a RAR file at download.com. Just search for RAR and you'll see WinRAR or something like that. It works fine.

Please don't post the same question in different forums. I will delete the other post.

Thanks.

Sorry, Chili.

Thanks.

Didn't work anyway. The dll file for bluenose mydrumsetrocks is 120,000k and Reaper dlls for VSTs tend to be 100k or less. Reaper wouldn't acknowledge it as valid and even if it had I suspect it would have slowed Reaper to below a crawl.

Didn't work anyway. The dll file for bluenose mydrumsetrocks is 120,000k and Reaper dlls for VSTs tend to be 100k or less. Reaper wouldn't acknowledge it as valid and even if it had I suspect it would have slowed Reaper to below a crawl.

Sorry, wish I could help more, but I don't know anything about reaper. I know you have Cubase, did you try it there?

I downloaded and used it with Reaper a year or two ago. If memory serves, I set it up like any other VSTi, had Reaper rescan the folder, and it worked.

Looking at his website, it looks like it's come a LONG way since I played with it. I stopped using it because it was basically just a 4 piece Ludwig, which is cool if you're Beatles tunes or something, but I needed a plug that was a bit more brutal, to use the parlance of our times. It sounded good, just wasn't enough.

I do remember it being a little interesting to get the routing right through Reaper though...does the VSTi load and you just don't get sound out of it?

Hmm.. I've used it in the past and it worked just fine for me. Can you give us a little detail on what you mean by "didn't work"? Also, I'm pretty sure the reason the file size is so big is because the wave files are packed into it (think of a zip file.) If I remember right, the .dll gets unpacked before it loads and the wave files are then loaded into RAM.

Anyway, more details would be great. Maybe we can sort this out. :)

Hmm.. I've used it in the past and it worked just fine for me. Can you give us a little detail on what you mean by "didn't work"? Also, I'm pretty sure the reason the file size is so big is because the wave files are packed into it (think of a zip file.) If I remember right, the .dll gets unpacked before it loads and the wave files are then loaded into RAM.

Anyway, more details would be great. Maybe we can sort this out. :)

Thanks for the support, guys. I finally got it to load but it doesn't look anything like the Mydrumset on the Bluenoise url. And although I can get all the tabs to move nothing happens. Here's what it looks like. (BTW, I added a track and put it in as a VST FX. I even tried recording but there is no input).

http://www.chandlermcgrew.com/Mydrumset.JPG

It appears to me that this is only the volume control and I'm missing a dll or something. But I put the two dlls I was supposed to into Reaper and there were no others.

Last edited:
Ok I'm back.

Everything seems to be working just fine here. In order to control the drum tracks individually, go to "Insert -> Virtual Instrument on new track." REAPER will then automatically create and route each track to a specific channel on the Bluenoise VST. (ie: track1 = MIDI, track2 = Kick, track3 = Snare, etc..)

One thing I noticed is the drumkit is mapped one octave up on the keyboard (as opposed to the GM standard, which is one octave down)

Both plugins have the same name, but one is a "70's" kit and one is a "rock" kit. You can easily rename them in REAPER's FX browser by right-clicking on the plugin name.

In short:
* Insert -> Virtual instrument on new track
* Start pressing keys on your keyboard

:)

Ok I'm back.

Everything seems to be working just fine here. In order to control the drum tracks individually, go to "Insert -> Virtual Instrument on new track." REAPER will then automatically create and route each track to a specific channel on the Bluenoise VST. (ie: track1 = MIDI, track2 = Kick, track3 = Snare, etc..)

One thing I noticed is the drumkit is mapped one octave up on the keyboard (as opposed to the GM standard, which is one octave down)

Both plugins have the same name, but one is a "70's" kit and one is a "rock" kit. You can easily rename them in REAPER's FX browser by right-clicking on the plugin name.

In short:
* Insert -> Virtual instrument on new track
* Start pressing keys on your keyboard

:)

Thanks, D-bop, but I just tried that (it worked) and I think I put you to a lot of work for nothing. I really don't want to get into a 'drumset' that takes up multiple tracks like that nor one that I have to learn to program on a keyboard. To tell the truth I've already had better luck with and old free version of Hammerhead. I was gonna purchase Cakewalk Studio Instruments, but if their drum kit works like Mydrumset I don't think I'll like it, either.

Thanks, D-bop, but I just tried that (it worked) and I think I put you to a lot of work for nothing. I really don't want to get into a 'drumset' that takes up multiple tracks like that nor one that I have to learn to program on a keyboard. To tell the truth I've already had better luck with and old free version of Hammerhead. I was gonna purchase Cakewalk Studio Instruments, but if their drum kit works like Mydrumset I don't think I'll like it, either.

Hey no problem. At least now you know how to automatically route multi-out VSTi's in REAPER ;)

Really though, you don't have to do anything with a keyboard. REAPER has a built-in piano roll editor that allows you to insert notes anywhere you want.

I also own Cakewalk's Studio Instruments. This one gives you more control (panning, tuning, volume, etc...) but personally, I think it sounds terrible.

I think what you're looking for is a sequencer for VSTi drums. Something that will let you create a drum pattern and loop it. Am I right?

Hey no problem. At least now you know how to automatically route multi-out VSTi's in REAPER ;)

Really though, you don't have to do anything with a keyboard. REAPER has a built-in piano roll editor that allows you to insert notes anywhere you want.

I also own Cakewalk's Studio Instruments. This one gives you more control (panning, tuning, volume, etc...) but personally, I think it sounds terrible.

I think what you're looking for is a sequencer for VSTi drums. Something that will let you create a drum pattern and loop it. Am I right?

What I'm HOPING for out of Cakewalk is a program with several sample loops I can play with as I am an old singer/guitarist (heavy on the singer) and know slightly less about drums than I do String Theory. I'm not looking to create studio quality cds. I just want to be able to leave my kids and grandkids something they can listen to and hopefully mutter, "Gramps wasn't too bad..." Correct me if I'm wrong but CW looked like a cheaper version of EZdrummer so that I could choose the drum set up and play with riffs etc in a more graphical setting.

Ok I gotcha. Then yes, the Cakewalk software has built-in drum loops.

You should try this: http://www.meldaproduction.com/mdrummer/
or this: http://www.drumcore.com/TemplateMain.aspx?contentId=65

mdrummer is more of a "virtual drummer" and drumcore is another drum VSTi with built-in drum loops.

You might also want to check out: http://www.free-loops.com for some other drum loops.

I hope that helps!

LOL. Took me two hours to download and install the Drumcore demo only to find you can't change the bpm and you can't export any of the rhythms. You can create all you like with the limited drum setup in the demo. You just can't use them in Reaper.... Oh, well. This just shows me I need to come up with the change for Cakewalk...

LOL. Took me two hours to download and install the Drumcore demo only to find you can't change the bpm and you can't export any of the rhythms. You can create all you like with the limited drum setup in the demo. You just can't use them in Reaper.... Oh, well. This just shows me I need to come up with the change for Cakewalk...

Sure you can!

You can drag and drop the loops from DrumCore's list into REAPER's track view. I would switch DrumCore to MIDI mode. It will make the drag+drop much faster and it'll sound more realistic when you adjust your projects BPM.

Now do this:

* File -> Project Settings (or Alt+Enter)
* Click on "Project Settings" tab
* Change "Timebase for items/envelopes/markers" to "Beats (position/length/rate)"

Now when you adjust your BPM in REAPER, your clips will follow :)

Sure you can!

You can drag and drop the loops from DrumCore's list into REAPER's track view. I would switch DrumCore to MIDI mode. It will make the drag+drop much faster and it'll sound more realistic when you adjust your projects BPM.

Now do this:

* File -> Project Settings (or Alt+Enter)
* Click on "Project Settings" tab
* Change "Timebase for items/envelopes/markers" to "Beats (position/length/rate)"

Now when you adjust your BPM in REAPER, your clips will follow :)

Ah, now I'm figuring it out. Drumcore setsup a track successfully. Then when I try to drag and drop I get a nice gray box like it's going to work then a Reaper error message that reads. Could not import 1 of 1 item. It's really odd. When I play the loop on Drumcore I even see input into the drum track, but I can't even record that input to get it into the program THAT way. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
I was able to drag and drop the midi file into Cubase. Then I rendered it into wave and finally imported the wave file into Reaper. I can't figure out why I can drag and drop into Cubase but not Reaper.

I was able to drag and drop the midi file into Cubase. Then I rendered it into wave and finally imported the wave file into Reaper. I can't figure out why I can drag and drop into Cubase but not Reaper.

Hmm... that is weird..

Maybe this is something you should bring to the REAPER forums. I'm out of ideas, unfortunately. They should be able better help you there. www.reaper.fm/forum.php

I hope you get it figured out.

Best of luck!

Back