Another WTF Brickwall Limiting Thread

fat_fleet

Swollen Member
Hey all. Posted this over on the Reaper forum but hay, maybe someone here knows.
Got a feeling I tweaked a setting somewhere, or hopefully something else similarly simple.

I place a brickwall on the master stereo track, and set it to peak at -0.1 dB. Master fader is at unity 0.0. The mix definitely comes out brickwalled, but peaks at weird arbitrary levels depending on the threshold setting on the limiter. Decreasing the threshold on the limiter drops the resultant gain level and vice versa, such that setting the threshold to clip 3dB results in a brickwall peak of about -17.3, but slamming the threshold down to 20dB brings my peak up to -0.3, where I would ordinarily want it.. only it sounds like shit because the threshold is slammed, and the wave is totally squared off when I render. Also I can increase the threshold to 25dB and the peak moves up to +4.7 etc.

I've tried two different limiters- Kjeerhus Classic and LoudMax. They both behave identically. And the limiter is the last VST on the "mastering" chain. Any ideas folks? Thanks in advance.

Hey, I wonder if jimmys69 knows I answered this. He seemed really concerned.

---------- Update ----------

Maybe someone should pm him??

Wow, at 350 views in just a couple days, this thread is simply SMOKING other Reaper help threads in views/time ratio.

Eat this liv_rong and mjbphotos!! :D

I'd like to thank Jesus, my mom, and Tom Brady.

Back