Alesis DM10 drums with Reaper

Atkron205

Has anyone recorded using the DM10 kit with Reaper? I have read it is best to use the USB connection instead of MIDI. I am looking at getting Superior Drummer as the add in. your thoughts? Thanks

Do you have an audio interface with MIDI connection? As long as the ALesis delivers full MIDI via USB, you can use that and select it as our MIDI input device.

I use Yamaha's DTX400K, which is pretty similar to the Alesis. The Yamaha only has USB for MIDI (no 5-pin DIN). I installed the Windows drivers, plugged in the kit, fired up Reaper, and activated the DTX as a MIDI device for input. It works fine for me. I use it to drive SSD4, EZDrummer, and recently I got Superior Drummer as well. I haven't done much SD yet, but I did at least test it out and it worked without issues.

I think the main benefit to using a MIDI input instead of USB is that you're not limited to such a short cable. That'll afford you some freedom of where you can put the kit in your room. I have to keep mine very close to the computer because USB cables don't get much longer than 10-15 feet.

I use Yamaha's DTX400K, which is pretty similar to the Alesis. The Yamaha only has USB for MIDI (no 5-pin DIN). I installed the Windows drivers, plugged in the kit, fired up Reaper, and activated the DTX as a MIDI device for input. It works fine for me. I use it to drive SSD4, EZDrummer, and recently I got Superior Drummer as well. I haven't done much SD yet, but I did at least test it out and it worked without issues.

I think the main benefit to using a MIDI input instead of USB is that you're not limited to such a short cable. That'll afford you some freedom of where you can put the kit in your room. I have to keep mine very close to the computer because USB cables don't get much longer than 10-15 feet.

I am going to have to upgrade my interface to get MIDI, I have a 2i2 right now. I use an outboard console so it has not been an issue until now. thanks guys:D

Back