adding templates to an existing project

liv_rong

Knows very little
So, say a mother fucker(person) sends you a project to record drums to or you(your own self) already have a project but with no drum tracks. Is there an easy way to add your template of all the tracks or do you have to assign each one individually?

Insert track from template not doing it for you? Does the File Type drop down help?

When I do that the explorer window opens for me to choose a template but my template is not there. If I go to the drop down menu under project templates though its right there.

Lol, yes, it will just open that template as a new project. In just going to copy and paste.

Thanks for the replies!
Did you actually try it? I guess I never have done that, but I have imported whole projects as though they were track templates and it just works. I can't imagine it would work any differently for project templates which are really just projects with a different extension. You didn't ask it to open a new project. You asked it to add tracks, and it will.

It looks like if you right click to add a new track it only gives you the option to add a track template, not a project template, which is why I couldnt see my project template. I have a project template saved that is 7 tracks for drums. If I go to the drop down menu file>project templates>(name of project template Im trying to use) it will let me click on it but then it opens a completely new project with that template instead of adding those tracks to that template.

Open a new project tab.

load the project into that
go to the tab with your recorded tracks
copy the tracks
go to the other tab and paste them in

I think the idea behind project templates is that you load them up first, then do your tracking

It looks like if you right click to add a new track it only gives you the option to add a track template, not a project template, which is why I couldnt see my project template. I have a project template saved that is 7 tracks for drums. If I go to the drop down menu file>project templates>(name of project template Im trying to use) it will let me click on it but then it opens a completely new project with that template instead of adding those tracks to that template.
OK, sorry. I have to say that's pretty much completely fucked. If you open the template, do nothing else, and save it as an actual project, I know for a fact that you could load that in as though it was a track template. I do that all the time, and ass-u-me-d that it would work the same with any valid file type. So, I guess you could save your template as a project (put it in the template folder so you don't have to navigate so far to open it) if this method would work better for you.

Copying tracks works, too. I kind of dont trust it, though. It's probably unreasonable, but I seem to vaguely recall a crash or two and maybe a corrupted project that followed a copy-paste procedure. That would have been way back, though, and other people seem to do it all the time. It is a couple more clicks, I think.

Shrug.

I could never see the real reason for templates - I just have them saved as projects, load one up when I start a new song, then immediately save it (in a new song folder) under the new project name.

I have some track templates saved, but I so rarely do the same thing twice that templates don't really help. I did save over the default project with a click track and guitar track loaded with GTune and PodFarm's Vox model which is a good starting place for most of my stuff, but that's about it. My live rig is almost always the same, but I usually just open the last project I recorded with it, delete all the audio items, and save as with the current date.

I started a thread over at the Reaper forum about this nonsense inconsistency in the way it handles different file types with "...track from template..." Heading toward either a bug report or feature request cause I think it's stupid.

In the meantime, you could open that project template and either save it as a project or select all the tracks and save them as a track template. After that's done, it will be a couple less clicks inserting them this way compared to copy/pasting between projects.

I started a thread over at the Reaper forum about this nonsense inconsistency in the way it handles different file types with "...track from template..." Heading toward either a bug report or feature request cause I think it's stupid.

In the meantime, you could open that project template and either save it as a project or select all the tracks and save them as a track template. After that's done, it will be a couple less clicks inserting them this way compared to copy/pasting between projects.

Cool, yeah this time I just copied and pasted. This was kind of a one off thing but I cold see it coming up in the future.

Well, it's here, but I finally actually tried it myself, and it just works. Don't know what you're doing wrong. :/

Fuuuccclkkkk. Me either. I tried it numerous times to make sure I wasn't being an idiot about it. Now I'll have
To try again and again and again when I get home to make sure.

Fuuuccclkkkk. Me either. I tried it numerous times to make sure I wasn't being an idiot about it. Now I'll have
To try again and again and again when I get home to make sure.

Well, try it once more. List your version number and the exact steps you took either here or over there and let's see if we can't finger it out.

Back