From Ableton Live to Reaper

meekdrill

Hello, first post here, I'm sure it won't be my last one as we never stop learning, so... I've been recording my music with Ableton Live for years but now want to give Reaper a shot ( So far I love it ! )

My question is how can I continue to work on the songs I started in Ableton on Reaper ?

I don't know Ableton, but would guess that you need to render each track into a common shared file format (WAV, AIC, etc) then import into Reaper.

The other possible way is to use ReaRoute.

In Reaper, you can create a set of tracks using ReaRoute inputs instead of the inputs you normally use for recording.

With ReaRoute, you should be able to open up Ableton, and instead of setting its outputs to your interface, set them instead to ReaRoute.

Once you've done this, you hit record on Reaper, then play on Ableton, and Reaper records what Ableton is playing.

The other possible way is to use ReaRoute.

In Reaper, you can create a set of tracks using ReaRoute inputs instead of the inputs you normally use for recording.

With ReaRoute, you should be able to open up Ableton, and instead of setting its outputs to your interface, set them instead to ReaRoute.

Once you've done this, you hit record on Reaper, then play on Ableton, and Reaper records what Ableton is playing.

This^^ :)
it's pretty easy to set up:

First, make sure you have REAROUTE ASIO installed with Reaper - for some reason this isn't a default on the install, so if you don't have it you'll need to reinstall reaper and tick the 'install REAROUTE' box when you get to the install customisation bit. It's easy to find.

Then you need to open Reaper, arm your channel, select 'Stereo > Rearoute 1&2' as your input source and make sure monitoring is ON.

Now open Ableton, and Go into the Options > Preferences > Audio section - Select 'Rearoute ASIO' as your output.

Now when Ableton makes noise you should hear it through Reaper! You'll need to make sure you have an armed track with monitoring ON in reaper if you want to hear anything from Ableton (unless you change Ableton's output back to your Soundcard).

Hit record! (make sure your tempos match before you do! The number of times I've got into a project like this and then found my delays ec are all out of kilter because I didn't set the tempo correctly...)

Hope that was a helpful first post.

There is a way to sync Reaper and Ableton so that everything works to a global tempo... it involves something called Midi-Ox which I've never managed to get working. Maybe someone on here is an expert.

Good luck!

Back